CFI renewal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Obi-Wan

Whats the best and EASIEST way to renew a CFI ticket. I have heard about online courses. What re the best sites out there. I dont want to sit behind the computer for 12 hours!!!! Thanks.

I just completed the CFI with Gleim last month. You take our own time, no need to log in for hours, and I got my temp cert back in four days. It took me one day to complete it. $125.00 This is the 2nd time I have used them.

I last used the american flyers program. Very poor program, the only value of which is that you can renew your certificate. I'd recommend anything else to someone before that. They do give you a "lifetime" renewal for the enrollment fee, meaning you can go back and renew again, but it's not worth wading through their poor system.

Among other things, you're required to have x amount of time on each subject to show that you finished the course. I found that after spending an hour on a subject, often their computer wouldn't even show that I'd been logged on, or that I'd only been logged on for a few minutes. The result was that I spent a lot more time wading through things than I should have.

Additionally, much of their material was outdated, some of it flat-out wrong. Their emphasis is all wrong for a review, with far too much time spend reviewing fundamentals of instruction, and little time spent reviewing more important subjects. I'd sooner kiss a shedding cat before I'd deal with them any more.

"...rather kiss a shedding cat." Whohohahahahahah, man! Dropped a ball on that one!hehe That' got to be one of your best so far avbug.

The Amer Flyers program will not win any awards, that's for sure. But the $100 lifetime renewal was the clincher for me.

If you are actually instructing (or you have been within the last two years) the easiest way is to do it with the FAA. Just make an appointment with the FSDO and take a list of your Students. You need at least 5 sign-offs with a passrate of 80% or better. Check 61.197 (2) (i)

Will cost you nothing but gasmoney to the FSDO.

Hope that helps.

Good point SunnFun. Also, some FSDO's will renew your CFI cert if you are currently flying as a Capt at a 121 airline. Their interpretation is that you are instructing FO's on a daily basis.

I've done this at ORD. Also at no cost.

fly26 said:
Good point SunnFun. Also, some FSDO's will renew your CFI cert if you are currently flying as a Capt at a 121 airline. Their interpretation is that you are instructing FO's on a daily basis.

I've done this at ORD. Also at no cost.

That would be 61.197 (2) (ii):

(ii) A record showing that, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has served as a company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots;

That last bit can mean a lot, just talk to an Examiner at your local FSDO to see wether your current jobdescription qualifies. I've experienced them as being very helpful.

Why pay when you can get it done for "free".? Go to your local FSDO and renew for free. I look forward to doing this in Nov. From what I hear, the inspectors are relaxed and it is a quick and easy flight.

g o o d l u ck

3 5 0

Renewal based on activity

I will "third" that method. Be well-prepared to be buffeted, though, if you renew at Orlando. It was nearly ten years ago to this day that it gave me a major hassle when I tried to renew on the basis of activity. Read my other posts for that story.

I've heard of feds who will renew a CFI based on aquaintance after a line check or similar airline flight qual event, i.e. a semi-annual or annual. Have the 8710 prepared and approach the ASI politely with your request. Usually, your request will be met with courteous cooperation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back