CFI Renewal/Reinstatement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
iflyjets4food said:
All he said was that his new DPE handbook revision tells him he has to use a complex.

I've got the new handbook and it doesn't say anything about using a complex aircraft on CFI renewal/reinstatement rides.

UndauntedFlyer said:
I've got the new handbook and it doesn't say anything about using a complex aircraft on CFI renewal/reinstatement rides.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgOrders.nsf/0/7f85cd99697aa59d86256f700076ed32/$FILE/87103D-C14.pdf

FAA Order 8710.3D Chapter 14, Section 1, Subsection 4:

4. PRACTICAL TEST. [FONT=AMJCOG+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]The examiner shall conduct the practical test for original issuance, additional ratings, renewal, and/or reinstatement of a flight instructor certificate IAW the appropriate Flight Instructor Practical Test Standards (PTS). The examiner may also require the applicant to demonstrate knowledge and skill from other PTSs that may include private pilot certificate, commercial pilot certificate, or instrument rating PTS, appropriate to the rating sought.
[/FONT][FONT=AMJDBJ+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]
A. Required Use of a Complex Airplane.

(1)
[/FONT][FONT=AMJCOG+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]For the issuance of a flight instructor certificate for a rating in the airplane category, a complex airplane must be used to perform takeoffs, landings, and emergency operations that are appropriate to complex airplanes. [/FONT]
[FONT=AMJCOG+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]
[/FONT]

AK47 said:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgOrders.nsf/0/7f85cd99697aa59d86256f700076ed32/$FILE/87103D-C14.pdf

FAA Order 8710.3D Chapter 14, Section 1, Subsection 4:

4. PRACTICAL TEST. [FONT=AMJCOG+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]The examiner shall conduct the practical test for original issuance, additional ratings, renewal, and/or reinstatement of a flight instructor certificate.....
[/FONT][FONT=AMJDBJ+TimesNewRomanPS,Times New Roman PS]

A. Required Use of a Complex Airplane.

(1)
[/FONT][FONT=AMJCOG+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]For the issuance of a flight instructor certificate for a rating in the airplane category, a complex airplane must be used .....[/FONT][FONT=AMJCOG+TimesNewRomanPSMT,Times New Roman PSMT]
[/FONT]

...."for the issuance"....not for "additional ratings, renewal, and/or reinstatement"...

nosehair said:
...."for the issuance"....not for "additional ratings, renewal, and/or reinstatement"...
Interesting. So the DPE manual says not to do something the PTS requires. Not necessarily wrong, since the PTS is really just a guide for DPEs anyway. Just interesting.

You guys need to read a little further:

Order 8710.3D
CHAPTER 14. CONDUCT A FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR PRACTICAL TEST FOR AN INITIAL, RENEWAL, REINSTATEMENT CERTIFICATION, OR AN ADDITIONAL CATEGORY/CLASS RATING TO A FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATE
SECTION 1. BACKGROUND
6. GENERAL PROCEDURES FOR RENEWAL OR REINSTATEMENT.
The examiner may require an applicant for renewal or reinstatement to complete all or any portion of the flight instructor practical test that the examiner deems necessary to determine the applicant’s competence to hold a flight instructor certificate.
--------
This means the Exaniner (or Inspector) gets to pick what exam (which determines which aircraft) they wish to test for. You can always pick another Examiner.....
JAFI

nosehair said:

but it doesn't say "... for the original issuance ..." like in "... for original issuance, additional ratings, renewal, and/or reinstatement ..." which may lead to interpretation as "for any type of issuance", whether "original" or "reinstatement".

Well,...OK, if you want to argue it that way. I was just trying to show you where and how the rest of the world interprets this.

nosehair said:
Well,...OK, if you want to argue it that way. I was just trying to show you where and how the rest of the world interprets this.

It is funny that you are trying to argue with me, even using the mighty "the rest of the world" argument. And all I did in my original post was providing the exact reference to 8710.3D without offering any interpretation, leaving it to the reader. You offered one interpretation and I suggested that there may be another one.

JAFI said:
This means the Exaniner (or Inspector) gets to pick what exam (which determines which aircraft) they wish to test for.
JAFI

No the applicant chooses which exam he/she wants to take. The examiner only chooses which tasks are to be tested and there is even guidance in the PTS for limiting this too.

And as I have said before, no complex aircraft required for CFI ASE renewal/reinstatement.

What is it that some of the Board members can not understand about this?

I had an expired CFI/CFII/MEI. I reinstated it last December. The DPE said I could choose whatever portion I wanted and it would reinstate all 3. I did the CFII in an Archer, and a couple months later I got the new CFI/II/MEI cert. in the mail. Piece of cake.

Latest resources

Back