CFI renewal question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jack Hass

I recently pulled out my CFI from my wallet the other day , thinking that it expired the end of October of this year. The date of issue is October 6, 2000. I looked at the back of it and it says it expires April 30, 2002 :( !!!!!!

My question is.....is the 24 calender months from the date of issue?? Or is my CFI expired already?

I had my Gold seal added on October 6th, and I think thats where this lil mixup occured.

Any inputs would be appreciated!

CFI expiration

I'm afraid you are SOL, my friend. Your CFI expired on the date of expiration, i.e. April 30, 2002. Date of issue has nothing to do with date of expiration. I remember changing addresses a few times during the pendency of my CFI. I ordered new certificates every time I moved. Date of issue changed but never the date of expiration. The Gold Seal has nothing to do with the date of expiration.

Good luck with getting your CFI reinstated.

Thanks bobbysamd......I have seen you reply to other posts and i value your answer!

Guess I'm just gonna have to ride with a DE :(

I may be wrong but I thought when you add the Gold Seal that renews your CFI based on activity for another 2 years... (since the Gold Seal requires 10 recommendations with at least 8 passes in the last 24 months)

Now granted that the FAA Inspector didn't change your expiration date you are probably still SOL, but that doesn't mean he didn't make a mistake....

CFI reinstatement

Falcon Capt said:
I may be wrong but I thought when you add the Gold Seal that renews your CFI based on activity for another 2 years... (since the Gold Seal requires 10 recommendations with at least 8 passes in the last 24 months)

Now granted that the FAA Inspector didn't change your expiration date you are probably still SOL, but that doesn't mean he didn't make a mistake....
Just for the fun of it, and maybe to save you an unnecessary reinstatement ride, try going to FSDO with your expired certificate and the records you provided to get the Gold Seal, and see what they say.

Just the same, I am sure you will have to take a reinstatement ride. In any event, keep us updated. Best of luck.

I renewed my CFI certificate a few months ago at a FSDO, and got my Gold Seal added. The inspector issued me a new temporary certificate which had the NEW expiration date on it.

I too am surprised your CFI wasn't automatically renewed when the gold seal was added.

I'd take everyone's advice and go up to your FSDO and ask about it. :cool:

CFI renewal question

Do you still have the temporary certificate issued by the FSDO? If so, check the expiration date typed on it. The FSDO should have renewed your certificate for 24 months when you added the gold seal, as the activity required for a gold seal also meets the requirements for renewal. It's possible that OKC screwed up when issuing the new permanent certificate.

Latest resources

Back