Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

great cornholio

Are you threatening me??
My CFI expires May 2009. I know that I can renew my CFI either 2 or 3 months early and keep May as my expiration month. Just wondering which one it is 2 or 3 months. I'm a regional capt and the FSDO will renew mine based on the fact that I'm a capt and I was hoping to get it renewed while I was in recurrent in March and was wondering if that would keep my expiration month as May....I already have enough expiration dates to keep in my head and my CFI has had a May expiration month for about 8 years now, so I'd hate to move the month and accidentally let it expire 2 years from now. I put too much work into getting the CFI CFII MEI so I'm not gonna let them expire.

61.197 (b)(2)(ii)
.......renewal requirements ....accomplished within 3 calendar months......

90 days...that's how I remember it...90 days.
(it's actually 3 calender mos., but, like you, I find that hard to remember)
But the 90 day landing thing is etched in stone, so I put the 90 days BEFORE expiration on the instructor thing.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't change your expiration month. You can always just call the FSDO and ask though. Nice that they are willing to sign you off just for being a captain.

Thanks for the help. I was thinking 3 months in my head. We just moved so all of my books are still in random boxes in the garage. It didn't used to be a big deal since I lived in RIC and all I had to do was go to the RIC FSDO and meet with the one guy that deals with us outta that FSDO, but now I don't live near RIC anymore so since STL is our main FSDO then there are a handful of guys there that can take care of it and lucky for me STL is where our training center is so the timing looks like it will work out. Yeah its a pretty sweat deal all I have to do is fill out an 8710, make a phone call to make sure someone can do it a day or 2 ahead of time, and show up with the 8710 and my work ID. Usually in and out in 10 to 15 mins.

The reg says you keep your original expiration month if you complete the renewal within the 3 calendar months preceding your expiration month. If your CFI expires 5/31/09, if you renew anytime in Feb, Mar, Apr, or May, you'll keep the May expiration. It worked out great for me, expires in March, renewed in December.

Just be careful if you go to a FSDO to renew. I went 3 months before my month with the online renewal test results in hand. Fed put down the expiration date as two years from the day I walked in. Had to actually argue with him that it was wrong. Made me wait another 1/2 hour for him to "review".
If I didn't read my temp I would have missed it.

Hung

There is actually a 4-month window for renewal so as to keep your original renewal date. It's 3-calandar months before your renewal month so that's a 4-month window.

Latest resources

Back