• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI Reinstatement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I reninstated mine (was expired over 2 years) by showing my POI how to do a steep turn and letting him fly back from a 135 checkride where we had to do the approaches at another airport. :)

On my initail CFI check I have to produce/show the DE a complete syllabus, bound in a note book, and teach on a selected subject from that "book".

IFollowRoads said:
How bout taking the MEI ride, will that reinstate my expired CFI-A?

Yes. It will.

iflyabeech said:
I reninstated mine (was expired over 2 years) by showing my POI how to do a steep turn and letting him fly back from a 135 checkride where we had to do the approaches at another airport. :)

The real FAA can do this but it's not right. If a DPE did this he/she would be fired.

A reinstatment of a CFI certificate requires a single showing of proficiency for what ever CFI rating is held. It can be done in a C-172 even if you're a CFI-AIM.

The CFI PTS has a special task grid chart in the front of the booklet that is to be used for CFI renewal or reinstatement. It is much less involved than an initial CFI or even an add-on check. "Fundamentals of Instructing" is not tested for a renewal/reinstatment.

If you hold a BGI, AGI or IGI that has nothing to do with CFI renewal or reinstatment.

UndauntedFlyer said:
The real FAA can do this but it's not right. If a DPE did this he/she would be fired.

A reinstatment of a CFI certificate requires a single showing of proficiency for what ever CFI rating is held. It can be done in a C-172 even if you're a CFI-AIM.

The CFI PTS has a special task grid chart in the front of the booklet that is to be used for CFI renewal or reinstatement. It is much less involved than an initial CFI or even an add-on check. "Fundamentals of Instructing" is not tested for a renewal/reinstatment.

If you hold a BGI, AGI or IGI that has nothing to do with CFI renewal or reinstatment.

Funny, but I don't think a DPE can do a 135 check! (unless he is a check airmen for you company.) Duh!!

iflyabeech said:

This post says the reinstatement was done by a POI. That's an FAA inspector not a DPE.

Funny, but I don't think a DPE can do a 135 check! (unless he is a check airmen for you company.) Duh!!
Part 135 Checks are done by FAA designated check airmen or by FAA inspectors.

Last edited:
UndauntedFlyer said:
This post says the reinstatement was done by a POI. That's an FAA inspector not a DPE.

Part 135 Checks are done by FAA designated check airmen or by FAA inspectors.

I was being facetious because you said that a DPE couldn't do it! Of course not! It was on a 135 ride, which is done by a check airmen or FAA POI or inspector. In my case my POI did it for me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back