CFI Records

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

schoolio

I did a search for this topic, and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Reference Part 61.189

(b) A flight instructor must maintain a record in a logbook or a separate document that contains the following:
(1) The name of each person whose logbook or student pilot certificate that instructor has endorsed for solo flight privileges, and the date of the endorsement; and
(2) The name of each person that instructor has endorsed for a knowledge test or practical test, and the record shall also indicate the kind of test, the date, and the results.

My question is about the underlined portion. Is it supposed to be the date of the endorsement or the date the student takes the test?

I'd like to know if there's anything regulatory that specifies. Personally, my technique would be to record the date of the endorsement, the kind of test, the date of the test, and the results.

Thanks.

Following the gramatical ordering and logic, I would have to say it is the date of the endorsement. You always write a date down next to the endorsement.
Also, the FAA has a database record of when the test was actually taken.

I agree that it's probably the date of the endorsement. I put down the date I endorsed them as well as the date they passed their checkride. Covers all my bases and it only takes another two seconds of my time.

I also agree that it is the date of the endorsment. I found that it is easy to simply make a big E in my logbook besides the flight that I gave the endorsment.

I also keep a detailed spreadsheet on the checkrides that I have signed off for, the outcomes, and other personal information.

I photocopied each of the endorsements I gave to my students which showed the endorsement date. In the back of my logbook, I wrote down checkride dates, students name, type of checkride, examiners name, and on which attempt they passed. This was more for my own records so I had an easy to reference list of my pass/fail rate.

Latest resources

Back