Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rumorhasit

$11.25 per seat mile
I was curious what information the CFI's on this board maintain for their records? I currently keep records of name, a/c flown, type of instruction i.e. lesson number if 141. But I am currently doing part 61 instruction now and appreciate any guidance on correct or proper record keeping for currency and c.y.a.

Thanks in advance....

I keep a record of each training flight on a form like the ones on this page (sorry about the pop-ups; it's a free host I used to use more): http://midlifeflight.tripod.com/cfi_stuff/index.htm

It's kneeboard sized so I can check things off as we go, has plenty of room for notes and comments, and is 2-part NCR so that both I and the student can have a copy.

The Private Pilot Training Record Spreadsheet (MS-Excel Spreadsheet) that's available on the same page is an older version and may need some work, but it is essentially an Excel version of the Jepp-style folder some 141 schools use.

Mark:

Those are nice record forms. Are the kneeboard check-offs available anywhere, or could I make up my own?
I'm re-starting a cfi career at a part 61 club in MN.

How is training in the Denver area? Looking for any excuse to move after graduation this fall....

This might be more than you need but here is the regulation.

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 61—CERTIFICATION: PILOTS, FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS, AND GROUND INSTRUCTORS
Subpart H—Flight Instructors Other than Flight Instructors With a Sport Pilot Rating

Browse Previous | Browse Next
§ 61.189 Flight instructor records.

(a) A flight instructor must sign the logbook of each person to whom that instructor has given flight training or ground training.
(b) A flight instructor must maintain a record in a logbook or a separate document that contains the following:
(1) The name of each person whose logbook or student pilot certificate that instructor has endorsed for solo flight privileges, and the date of the endorsement; and
(2) The name of each person that instructor has endorsed for a knowledge test or practical test, and the record shall also indicate the kind of test, the date, and the results.
(c) Each flight instructor must retain the records required by this section for at least 3 years.

Mark:

Those are nice record forms. Are the kneeboard check-offs available anywhere, or could I make up my own?
I'm re-starting a cfi career at a part 61 club in MN.

How is training in the Denver area? Looking for any excuse to move after graduation this fall....
You can certainly make your own. Kinkos will do the NCR copying and cutting. I made these that way. It's still a work-in-progress which is why I haven't posted the "real" MS-Word or PFD file anywhere. It's really just a check-off-the maneuver list of tasks that appear in the regs and PTS.

The Excel quasi-Jepp-record spreadsheet is downloadable.

I know that there's a company that sells something similar, or at least used to. It wasn't kneeboard sized, but it was NCR based and on the same idea. I've seen it in use, but not for a long time.

Training in the Denver area is like a lot of other places. A good number of flight schools handling the economy with most of the CFIs coming from the school's own student pool. Also, Since CFIs here tend to be treated as independent contractors rather than employees, the changes are more directly felt.
gulfstream2345 said:
This might be more than you need but here is the regulation
It's probably less than he needs. The bare minimum of the regulation does not set the standard for good business practices.

Latest resources

Back