Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd do it

chignutsak said:
However, there's really no substitute to doing it gradually, under the wing of a highly experienced and tough CFI. Good luck in whatever you do.

I don't entirely agree w/ that. While they will push you throught the ratings quickly to get you out on time and on budget, it will get you done. I did the CFI program there 2 years ago, after doing there program I taught at both a mom and pop part 61 school and a big 141 program (never worked for ATPs or any school remotely similar to them). As of when I was hired by both Express Jet and ASA (Oct 13th), I had signed off 39 students, ranging from privates, instruments, comms., multis, 3 CFIs and a few CFIIs/MEIs and I've only had one failure; ONE out of 39 with more than 10 different FAA pilot examiners (one of my initial CFI guy busted on steep turns). So I think I did purdy well as an ATP-trained CFI. I always hated it when people said that "I bought my ratings," I eventually just quit arguing and let my numbers speak for themselves. So do the program, come ready to rock and roll and be ready to teach the material to your students before you set foot on ATPs property, because they will run you through the ratings quickly

Last edited:
I'm currently an active CFII with no opportunities for Multi-time at my flightschool so I'm considering the 15 hour MEI course at ATP. I had a friend who went through it and said you work hard, but you finish it up quick. ATP has some sort of rep I'm sure, but I actually had an instructor who went to the school, and was one of the best instructors I had for my training.

check6 said:
I'm currently an active CFII with no opportunities for Multi-time at my flightschool so I'm considering the 15 hour MEI course at ATP. I had a friend who went through it and said you work hard, but you finish it up quick. ATP has some sort of rep I'm sure, but I actually had an instructor who went to the school, and was one of the best instructors I had for my training.

Just go to ATP or Sheble to get it done. Its all what you are willing to put into getting done. If you have good study habits, you will succeed

Just do it!

If the place you are working for now doesn't have a problem with you going to ATP for your CFI, and will hire you when you get back, then just go for it, you can learn to be a good CFI in the airplane, just like everybody else.

Just remember all your students are trying to kill you, and you'll be fine.

johnpeace said:
They've never really trained a CFI. All the instructors are fairly inexperienced.

Red flag! Red flag! From what it sounds like, ATP or Shelbe or the like is your best bet, and I say that as a guy who did all his training part 61. I did my CFII at a place that really had no experience in doing that kind of training, and I really struggled through it. Find somewhere that has a lot of experience training CFIs. Do the accelerated training if you must.

Is there anyone even legal to do your initial CFI at your FBO?

-Goose

Latest resources

Back