Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cypilot77

hello people,
im going to start my CFI training very soon,and i have 2 questions that i dont agree with my instructor and i need your help.
1. He tells me that for the cfi initial you dont need to take the checkride with a complex plane,but most people say YOU have to take it with a complex.Is he right or wrong?
2. The other thing,he is "sure" that you can take the checkride with any DE like all the other checkrides ,but i read books that say that only the FSDO can give you the checkride with an FAA inspector.(initial only)

Appreciate any advises before i start
thanks

I'm not sure about the first.

The FAA wants you to do your initial CFI with them but its not required. Our local FSDO has been sending applicants to local DPEs because they have a 2 month waiting list! au

1. Now that you are training to become a CFI you should start getting familiar with how to use the FAR/AIM. Look it up. (Get use to saying this when you don't know the answer to a question)

2. FSDO (initial only) anything after that DE

LewisU_Pilot said:
1. Now that you are training to become a CFI you should start getting familiar with how to use the FAR/AIM. Look it up.

2. FSDO (initial only) anything after that DE

I agree. When the time comes for you to do the checkride you have to submit a request to the local FSDO. If the examiner is not able to do it you can request another DPE. The thing is..you cannot request until you are ready for the checkride and you need a signature from your instructor on the request form to use the DPE. Good Luck.

Good luck with your CFI training. I've training a bunch of CFI's and it's a fun rating to earn and teach!

1Q- "He tells me that for the cfi initial you dont need to take the checkride with a complex plane,but most people say YOU have to take it with a complex.Is he right or wrong?"

1A- You do not need to take initial checkride in a complex plane. Example- earn your initial CFI in a helicopter or sea-plane, then add on fixed-wing. Or earn your CFII before your CFI. The first word of Part of 91 is "Except"! This proves that there is usually an exception to any rule. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX during your CFI training.

2Q- "The other thing,he is "sure" that you can take the checkride with any DE like all the other checkrides ,but i read books that say that only the FSDO can give you the checkride with an FAA inspector.(initial only)"

2A- I agree with what was previously posted. You can always check with the FSDO and they very well could give you permission to use another if they are busy or don't care who you use.

-Night_Flight-

Last edited:
thanks a lot guys...
By the way,do you know where i can find the lesson plans for the cfi? i heard its a books (Gleims i think) that has every one ready..is it true?

I don't mean to be the mean one here, but are you up for being a CFI? I know that with your first set of questions the FSDO vs DE quetion may be tough to answer on your own, but the first answer is right out of the CFI PTS in the introduction. Second you ask if there are books which cover lessonn plans, I'm assuming it's to help you create your own, but I get the feeling you're taking an easy way out.
Are you ready to be a CFI & look things up when you don't know instead of asking others? Are you ready to put in the time?

Just some thoughts that might save you some money... $.02

1. They want to make sure you can TEACH in a complex plane. If you get your MEI first then you can fly a 172 on your CFI ride.

2. I did mine with a DE. The FSDO gets first crack at it and they can opt for a DE to do it if they choose to. They wanted to schedule my checkride 3 weeks out and I was doing a lot of Air Force stuff at the time and I told them I could only schedule one week out. Then they told me which DE I could do the checkride with.

Latest resources

Back