CFI Question: Private Pilot Endorsements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

Do the Aeronautical Knowledge (61.105) and Flight Proficiency (61.103f and 61.107b) endorsements ever expire? If I give a student pilot these endorsements and 5 months later he flys with another CFI for 3 hours and gets the 61.39 endorsement, can he take the Private checkride? Any help from veteran cfi's would be great. thanks in advance

IIRC, (and it's been awhile since I taught)... The endorsements do not expire. However, if I was the instructor that was sending a student up for a checkride (and the one signing the 8710), I would definately be sure that the student met the various experience and knowledge requirements, and that I was the endorsing instructor for all of the required endorsements.

(Does that make sense? Its still a bit early...)

Mainly just to make sure that my student is good to go and doesn't blow my record. For example, if I received a student from another instructor that was already endorsed (recently), but for some reason this instructor was unable to fill out the paperwork for the checkride (say he got hired somewhere and left short notice). I would tell the student that I would endorse them, but they first had to show me they were ready, by covering all of the materials in the FARs(briefly, either in the plane or on the ground, and in a minimum of 3 flight hours) . I would then re-endorse the student and sign the paperwork for the checkride.

Cougar is correct, they do not expire; however, remember you are always able to add in an expiration date to the endorsement, such as valid until --/--/-- to prevent the student from doing this.

The 8710 expires after 60 days, but the endorsements do not.

Latest resources

Back