CFI Pay at Universities?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gonnabeadad

I am a CFI at one of the major University Training programs in the country. We are discussing possibly reconfiguring our pay right now and I was wondering what some other schools are paying. Currently we get $120/week stipend plus $15/hour of instruction. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Flight schools in Austin seem to pay between $14 and $20 per hour, depending on qualifications, etc...

Air Transport Training International...Tucson, AZ. $1100/mo + 15$/hr. They need instructors with 500 instrument dual given...that can include night, anything on an IFR flight plan, etc. It's for foreign contract students (German).

When I was instructing a year ago, I got $20/hr for private $25/hr for instrument and commercial and $30/hr for multi. But that was after I left the college. Its seems to me that the colleges pay much much less. If you can find a quality FBO you should be able to get a lot more for your work. You'll also have more freedom in your syllabus and so on.

College CFI pay

My first full-time instructing job, at ERAU-Prescott in 1989-'91, was the best-paying aviation job I ever had. I was making something like $13-$16/hour. They wanted you to get in 30 hours of contact time a week. Contact hours included flights, ground and sim. It was hard at first because it was always hard to get airplanes, but once you learned how to sniff out available aircraft you could do it. Riddle had an incentive program in which you were bonused if you put in at least one thousand contact hours in a year. I knew of one instructor who was making more than $30K a year. He knew how to work the system, although there was much speculation he was flying more than the legal eight hours a day.

Things are different at Riddle now. I no longer work there however they are unionized at the DAB campus and are currently negotiating their second contract. Im not sure what the rates are however the total package is decent with insurance benefits and tuition savings. Prescott rode our coatials last time without joining our union and ended up with similar pay and benefits. I'm sure they will do this again. Time will tell.

Latest resources

Back