CFI Liability question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NW_Pilot said:
Firkin Rat!!!!!!, Yea, go to the fsdo they will revoke any future certificates and then he will be flying with out then.... How about go to the local safety councilor or talk with the guy and let him know that its unsafe and a far violation maybe talk some sense in to the poor fool but don’t be a firkin rat!!!!
"Rat", huh? This isn't 2nd grade anymore. This is deadly serious business. Anyone who operates an aircraft without the proper licenses is a hazard to themselves and those on the ground. Your suggestion that someone "talk" to him without sanction is typical of a pretty mushy thinking. This guy knows he's violating the law and endangering others, yet he does it anyway and seeks approval for his stupidity by telling others. So that makes him not only reckless and arrogant, but a moron as well. Not a good combination for operating an aircraft.

If this guy goes out next week and crashes into a school and kills a bunch of kids, I suppose you could delude yourself into claiming the moral high ground by not being a "rat".

The only "rat" is the one who has the power to stop a potential tragedy and doesn't through some perverted, juvenile sense of honor.

Time to grow up, pal.

Last edited:
I know of a guy that's been flying out of a small strip for years that owns his plane and does not have a license. Everyone at the airport knows about it and could care less because he never takes passengers.

I asked the boss why no one has turned him in during all the years he's been doing it and the boss said, "I'll leave it up to him to get caught."

Draginass said:
If this guy goes out next week and crashes into a school and kills a bunch of kids, I suppose you could delude yourself into claiming the moral high ground by not being a "rat".

Time to grow up, pal.

I've gotta say that you definitely sound like one of the politicians that the AOPA is having to fight against so hard. A C150 wouldn't penetrate the walls of a school.

Fear mongering is abundent lately.

Boot him past the curb and into the street!

I had a student like him some 15-16 years ago. I gave him some dual but never signed him off for anything! I inherited this nut from a departing instructor.

I came in one day and found out he was departing. I asked who was flying with him. The fuelers said he was alone. I called the tower and told them to deny his takeoff, which they did.

He called us on the radio and was furious. I told him to taxi back as I wouldn't discuss this over the radio. He came back in and went after the fuelers and our receptionist.

I hustled him to a back room and told him he was in violation of numerous FARs because(a) he wasn't licensed, (b) he wasn't endorsed by me for any kind of solo flight and (c) in violation of school and club rules, he didn't have any flight plan on file.

His response was "That's your problem." I informed him that his attitude proved to me he was an accident waiting to happen and I wouldn't fly with him and I would inform our chief flight instructor and all the other instructors at that airport.

I never heard of him again.

Draginass said:
Anyone who operates an aircraft without the proper licenses is a hazard to themselves and those on the ground.
No, anyone who operates an aircraft without the proper authorization, operates an aircraft without the proper authorization.

Those ding dongs at Pinnacle that "410 it dude" had "licenses" and they still "we're gonna crash into houses dude!"

So quit looking at licenses v. not licenses as a hazard v. non-hazard issue. It's an authorization issue.

He called us on the radio and was furious. I told him to taxi back as I wouldn't discuss this over the radio. He came back in and went after the fuelers and our receptionist.

I hustled him to a back room and told him he was in violation of numerous FARs because(a) he wasn't licensed, (b) he wasn't endorsed by me for any kind of solo flight and (c) in violation of school and club rules, he didn't have any flight plan on file.

His response was "That's your problem."

What a friggin ass!

Steve said:
Should I kick this guy to the curb? Have I put myself at risk career wise flying with him. I have NOT given him any endorsements and dont plan on it now, but he does have about 10 hours dual from me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

steve

Even though you haven't given him any endorsements, you might want to contact the AOPA Legal dept concerning potential liabilities rising from the 10 hours of dual you already gave him. They can advise you of what actions to take to CYA and ticket.
This business of committing lift is tough enough and I don't want people like that occupying the same airspace as my family, my friends, or me. I say, dump the SOB and sent a letter to the FSDO.

And....

Ask the AOPA Legal Dept. their opinion. Also consider your dual will be recent, and perhaps the last dual in his logbook. If he has an accident or violation, the FAA may review his logbook and ask you a few questions. If the FAA can prove you had prior knowledge of his illegal behavior, you may need your own lawyer. If it is a post-accident investigation, it is possible you can be sued as culpable in our litigious society.

mcjohn said:
Not if you have AOPA Commercial Pilot legal services like I do.

It's $52 / year.

AOPA legal only covers your butt AFTER you get violated. And it doesn't guarantee that action won't be taken against your certificate... it just means that they will join in your fight once action has been taken against you. Just an important thing to point out.

Unlike what many airline execs have, the AOPA legal plan isn't a golden parachute...

Latest resources

Back