CFI Liability Insurance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

D8Ball

After reading a recently released article about CFI liability, I was wondering if anyone knew about an insurance company that offers liability insurance for CFI's when they ARE NOT in the aircraft. There are plenty of companies that offer it when the CFI is in the aircraft, but what if we get sued by a student looking to grab money however possible. Some lawsuits have come up against a CFI when they werent even in the aircraft and the student crashed and blamed the CFI for various reasons. Any info or ideas???

My AOPA CFI policy includes an endorsement for coverage against "professional malpractice," which hopefully offers some benefit if a former student does something dumb.

Their website offers the following:

"The Comprehensive CFI policy covers your negligence arising from your personal use of non-owned aircraft, covers your negligence while instructing in non-owned aircraft and provides coverage for claims that may arise out of your professional liability as a CFI. Although few have been sucessful in suing a CFI for their bodily injury or property damage arising from alleged negligent instruction the Comprehensive CFI policy provides you with defense coverage (legal fees) which can add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars."

As always, buyer beware. Give 'em a call and ask.

Thanks. Ive been an AOPA member for a long time, so I will give them a shout. I didnt realize that they covered negligence issues.

Latest resources

Back