CFI Lesson Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

need2AV8

While making my own CFI lesson plans, I realize that every lesson plan will not be perfect. I can't help but wonder if purchasing lesson plans from Sporty's, or whoever, will help ensure my coverage of a given topic is comprehensive. I do only intend to use them as a SUPPLEMENT to my work, NOT a replacement. I wonder if any of you have found purchased lesson plans to be beneficial and if so, which company makes the best (in your experience, of course)?

There is a whole book of 'em, spiral bound. Everything that needs attention is mentioned.

Jack Quinlan is the author, and you can probably get it through sporty's.

Why waste money.. Do them yourself and be as complete as you can. You'll learn the lesson much better that way. If you find your lesson missing something at a later date, simply add it in.

I agree with chopperpilot. However, if you want to purchase lesson plans, do so only for reference use. Examine them, get a good understanding of what should be included, then make your own. Keep in mind that a lesson plan is what YOU make it and should be designed around your teaching style and the learning style of the student (if there is a student). I know it's frustrating at first putting these things together, but the examiner will be much more pleased if he sees effort and planning of your own. Good luck!

Lesson Plans

I agree with the above. Get out your Aviation Instructor's Handbook, follow the lesson plan form in there, and create your own lesson plans.

People seem to forget that lesson plans benefit the instructor as much if not more as they benefit the student.

Last edited:
lesson plans

lesson plans......you don't need no stinking lesson plans.......

Just kidding. I bought the spiral book from sporty's and it collected dust onmy desk. If you need a dust collector, spend the 60 bucks. A good idea would be to borrow one once in a while to make your own lessons plans. KISS Keep It Simple..Stupid

Hope this helps...

Muchas gracias

Thanks fellas, this was exactly the kind of feedback I needed.

Lesson plans

Hello,
I'd highly recommend doing them yourself, it's the best way to become familiar with the material that you'll be teaching. Ultimately, that is what the FAA guy is going to be looking for during that initial CFI checkride. It's a given that you are a technically proficent pilot, however, not everyone that can fly the pants off an airplane is a good instructor. In fact, it took me a good solid year of teaching before I was really comfortable.
Keep in mind that there are really no "short-cuts" in aviation and that includes doing those lesson plans. Use the FAA's model and then just fill-in the blanks with your own personalization (this is another thing that the Feds will be looking at...Anyone can "parrot" a lesson plan, but personalization will make or break you as an instructor in the real-world too.) Good luck to you!

Regards,
ex-Navy rotorhead

Latest resources

Back