CFI Hiring Status???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airnik

I live in Cental Illinois, and so far I haven't had any luck in obtaining a CFI job - even in St. Louis. I was just wondering if anyone else was facing the same thing in other parts of the country (specifically new CFI's with little or no dual given).

Has anyone seen the hiring of CFI's pick up recently, with the springtime season approaching?? Or am I just doing some wishful thinking??

I would really, truly enjoy flight instructing. I have an opportunity for a computer information systems job that pays pretty decent, but I'd rather flight instruct for a fraction of that pay, and do a little bartending at night (my present job).

I've read a lot of advice from many of you to other people - keep up the great work! Thanks in advance for any insight any of you have!!

CFI positions

I am in the Atlanta area and I have not heard of anything around here. There is a company in climbto350.com that is looking for CFI's in Ohio.:) I am trying to stay in the aviation industry as well, don't get desperate things will improve

While i've been out of the instructing loop for quite a few months now, I used to instruct at American Flyers - DPA and still have several friends there. Being a stones throw away from MDW, alot of our instructors went/go to Chicago Express which is still hiring. I'm not sure what other schools are looking like, but DPA Flyers has been doing great as far as business is concerned. Two of their instructors just started class with ChiExp, one was let go, and at least a couple others wont be there too much longer (I don't think). They have also brought one of the part timers back full time and are trying to get another part timer to go full time (to no avail), so things are looking up at the DPA office based on what i've heard.

Things to consider: DPA is located in a large metropolitan area where there is likely to be more business, American Flyers tends to hire new instructors from their instructor acacemys (not always - I wasn't), and this is only one of the many schools out there and may not reflect the nationwide job market for instructors.

My advice: Be proactive, not reactive. Don't just stay at home looking for a job on the internet or the classified section of your favorite aviation magazine. Your going to have to do some legwork. Keep visiting as many schools and/or FBOs and meet with school managers and chief pilots in person - you'd be surprised what a good handshake can do for you! Be agressive, but not annoying. Maintain your instrument currency AND PROFICIENCY!!! Get some sim time, but try to get some actual stick time too. If you have a friend that is also an instructor you can split the cost of the rental and put some dual given in your logbooks! Get back in touch or keep in touch with your aviation buddies. They may know something you don't or may be able to give you a recommendation somewhere. Sell yourself! The numbers in your logbook aren't everything. Personality, among many other things, is very important in any job in aviation. Could a student sit in a C152 shoulder to shoulder with you for 1-2 hours at a time? If your flight time is relativly low, focus on your stronger points. I know you may have heard this already and I don't mean to sound preachy, but I don't think it hurts to hear it again... plus other new instructors may not have heard it yet.

The industry has slowed down a bit, but it has not stopped. Regionals are strarting to pick up already and recalling, as slow as it may be, furloughed pilots - some like ChiExp never stopped hiring! The regional I was furloughed from has already added two jets to the fleet and are adding two more at the end of this year with the deliveries of 20 more starting next year. This industry is cyclical. Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes and we happend to catch it when it slowed down a little, about a year or so sooner than anticipated.

Bottom line... Yes, things could be better but yes, there are instructor jobs out there. Yes, you will have to work to find them and no, it won't be easy.

Best of luck and hang in there!!!

I don't know if it's of any use to you in the midwest but Shelbe's in Vegas and Laughlin is still advertising for CFI's. There is also a couple of small schools in the LA area advertising for CFI's of all experience levels.

CFI Jobs

You can't wait for the jobs to come to you. They won't. You have to smoke them out and jump on them (apologies for the cliches).

Get a list of flight schools. I found this one some time ago: http://www.narrows.com/aviation/fltschools.htm . I realize it may be outdated. Then, fire up your laser printer and pump out resumes. After that, wallpaper the universe with them together with cover letters. I would get in the car and hand-deliver your materials to all the schools and FBOs within driving distance and beyond. I'd drive one to Parks College.

Something else you might do is peruse pilot magazines for flight school ads and send them resumes. I did that a couple of times with success. For example, I never knew that Mesa had a flight school until I saw its ad in some magazine. I sent a resume and followed up. I had a chance to interview but declined because the timing didn't work out. But I applied to MAPD again something like eight months later and got hired. I always figured if they are advertising for students they must need instructors.

Good luck with your job search.

Brother Airnik-

Back in December, my boss realized that he could let me go and not be forced to pay unemployment, as I was considered a "subcontractor". He was then able to instruct as many of my five students as he wished, and give the rest to those he "liked" more. Consequently, I have been out looking for a new school.

I have sent out almost 50 resumes to flight schools and 135 operators with SIC programs. My cover notes are articulate, and my spelling is correct. I am not badmouthing any former employer, and in sixty or seventy phone calls I have made I am always polite and friendly. I have asked at least seven posters here on the board for referrals. Some posters have responded, some haven't. My search area has included the entire lower 48 states. My search parameters include full time student work, reasonable pay, and ability to find a reasonable cost apartment, a professional atmosphere, and ability to instruct instrument and multi students. Bear in mind, I have over 500 hours of dual given, and 40 as MEI. Four out of five students signed off for practical tests passed on the first try.

Now, the reason I am telling you all of this: I have yet to find a job during this nine-week search.

This past Wednesday, a former private student asked for my advice as he continues his training at my old school. He wanted to know what he should do about getting an instruction job, since my old boss has indicated that he will not be hiring more instructors during the foreseeable future, so I'll tell you what I told him. Do your CFI training at a place where you would like to work. Call and talk to instructors. Visit if you have the travelling money. Do they have a good volume of students, and a proven record of success? Are they a known quantity in the world of aviation? Are they respected in the industry?

In a small school, a good instructor may often be overlooked if the emphasis is turning propellers, spinning Hobbs meters, and students having "fun". If you are involved in a small-scale operation where whether or not the right people like you becomes a determining factor in your success, then your experience will be a little rocky. If however, your school meets the queries in the paragraph above, you will pass through this section of your career having learned a great deal about flying, and skipped the part where you learn to avoid another disappointing situation.

I'm sure you'll find something, just like I will. Time is my enemy, and if you have time to spare, you should have few problems along the way, particularly if you take the advice offered here by the instructors on this board.

Latest resources

Back