CFI checkride without the FAA??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mocaman

I have a friend that just finished the CFI program at www.skylink.homestead.com and he did the checkride with a DE that works at the school. He did not have to try and schedule with the FAA. I guess somehow this school is exempt from the "Have to do it with the FAA rule". How can this be? Just curious.

i hear that if they cant schedule ya within 14 days you can go with anyone qualified to do so

This is only true in certain states. It is this way in MN as well. That is why I took my checkride in Cedar Rapids, IA. The guy is a DE and does tons of CFI initials. A few months later I did my add-ons with another private guy, but you probably already new that part of the deal. I think there is a lot of people who do add-ons.

Hope this helps clarify.

The exact method has varied periodically, and probably among FSDOs, but for quite a few years the FAA has authorized certain DPEs to do initial CFIs when the FSDO can't handle them from reasons ranging from scheduling to personnel to budgets.

I guess somehow this school is exempt from the "Have to do it with the FAA rule". How can this be? Just curious.

More than a few schools are "exempt" from this "rule". Airman was a perfect example for many years while they were still in operation. Other fsdo's have X amount of days to get the ride scheduled and if they are unable to do so then they will appoint a DPE that has already been approved to do these rides. Some fsdos are busier than others, some schools can do this while others cannot. More or less hit or miss depending on where you are doing your training at.

When i did mine the FAA wanted 3 weeks notice, I told them I could only give them one and they let me do it with a DE.

Some of the bigger part 141 schools have self examining authority all the way through CFI/II and MEI. Flight Safety International is one of them.

Latest resources

Back