CFI Checkride next Tuesday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Anne

I've been a lurker for a year or more, and just started posting, so I know you guys don't know me. I've gleaned tons of information from this site. And now I have my CFI checkride coming up. I'm scared out of my wits. I'm not so concerned about the flight portion of the practical test, but just thinking of the oral keeps me up at night. I understand there is a high failure rate on the first attempt, with a high pass rate on the following attempt. I figure if 19 year old kids can pass this thing, eventually I should be able to pass as well. I would just love for it to be on my initial attempt.
So I'm off to hit the books again. There is so much to know, I'm having trouble oranizizing myself. I find I read something and not a word of it entered my brain, so I have to reread it again. Oh well, I'll let you know how I do.

CFI Practical

There are so many things to remember that I probably can say more with less.

Bring all your reference material to the practical, but remember that the FAA's pubs are the final word on any piece of knowledge or maneuver that you must explain or demonstrate. Even if you think it should be done another way, or your instructor thinks it should be done another way, or the examiner thinks it should be done another way, the examiner has to give you a "pass" as long as you do it the FAA way.

Keep it simple. Don't launch into any long dissertations or even think about showing off your knowledge. The examiner has heard it all before many times and knows more about it than you. He/she can ask you just one question that could torpedo you.

Answer only what is asked. Don't volunteer information.

Never stop teaching. Treat the examiner as you would a student until the examiner hands you your Temporary.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your practical and let us know how it went.

With this level of concern, you should be almost as over-prepared as I was for my checkrides.:D

Good luck!

Anne:

Take comfort in the fact that you're only human and therefore can't possibly know everything. If the examiner wants to find a weak spot in your knowledge s/he will. The good news is that despite lots of horror stories there are very few examiners that wish to see you fail. My examiner, an FAA guy, told me about how the majority of CFI applicants who failed had huge gaps in their knowledge and preparation. I believe him. You sound like you've got your act together so you're already ahead of the other guys.

At my Oral I got asked about FARs regarding MEL's. I was floored because my instructor, the chief CFI at an American Flyers, had told me not to worry about MEL's. I gave the standard "I don't know but I'll look it up" answer but the guy said "don't bother" and just wrote some notes. The lump in my throat was practically choking me, yet when we finished he said let's go flying but as it turned out an unforecast low ceiling prevented finishing the checkride. When I came back a week later we had a short pre-brief and I said in passing, "Oh, about that MEL question you asked me last week, ..." and he was happy to hear all about it.

I wish this story was a truly happy one but I ended up pinking the flight portion with a boneheaded move. During the approach-to-landing stall demonstration I failed to raise the gear. The fed gave me three chances to let me see my error but I was completely clueless. I have to say that he was more than fair with me. (BTW, the reason for my screwup was that in the four weeks preceeding my checkride to stay proficient I went up and quickly went through all the maneuvers -- leaving the gear down to save time and wear-and-tear on the "fragile" C172RG gear. Too bad I did the same on the checkride.)

As is often the case many great soon-to-be CFI's pink their initial just as many lousy ones pass. Your attitude already puts you ahead so I'm sure you'll do better than you expect. Break a leg.

Last edited:
Just to add a little to the two previous posts that are right on.

Never say "I don't know" to a question. Always refer to the publications as your response. A quote from my CFI examiner was, "A flight instructor dosen't know everything, they just know where every thing is."

FAA inspectors look for confidence in the individual. If you come across as someone who is kinda sure of yourself... You'll be going home quick.

Remember these people have a boring job that contains zero excitement and all they do is argue over how to interpret the FARS. So, bring some excitement to your examiner as you would a new student.

Go into the exam planning on taking it twice. Relax and just be yourself. Don't try to knock a home run the first time.

Have fun

(special effect here: ghostly voice of experience)

"......and remember to review your FOI material when you go for your instrument instructor ride, too........"

(ghost) "MARK ME!"

(Hamlet) 'I will!"

Latest resources

Back