• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bertengineer

AM Aviation
CFI Check Ride
I received info from the DPE that during my oral I have to give a lesson (simulated) to a commercial student on Lazy Eights, an intro to the emergency descent/Forced landing from 3500 ft, and Eights on Pylons. I have all of the lesson plans worked out, but any info on this matter will be greatly helpful.

bertengineer

Wow! 3 lessons....... I only had to do one lesson and it was the popular lazy eights. I think that the only advice I could give on that is to make sure that you get the first part of the lessons right. Make sure to include the what, why and how. Use props (wipe board, model airplane) that will better illustrate the maneuver. I have heard (and experienced it myself) that if you do really well on the first part of the lesson, then you might hear the magic words, "that's enough, let's move on." Good luck.

checkride

Hey--good luck on the ride! Sounds as if you have a DPE who will be fair (and are we looking for more than that in a check ride--no!)

Actually, its a big head start to have the exact lessons before the test; thats pretty much the format of my own check ride, but I didn't know what subjects I had to teach until we started. Maybe a third of my oral was prep time for the lessons I gave.

As far as the lessons; I would check what you have prepared against the Gleim Flight Instructor flight/check ride prep guide. They have the exact format in there as well as common mistakes, etc.

RELAX and give the lessons just as if the DPE were a student (easy to say, hard to do; this is probably the only student you will ever have who knows exactly what you SHOULD be saying the entire time). If you screw up something on the actual flight, point out your error and proceed to perform the maneuver correctly--just as you would with a student.

Good luck and fly safe!

Latest resources

Back