CFI Check Ride Experiences

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey QWERTY,

I've heard that story about 8's on pylons also. If you are shooting into a foxhole you can't do a normal turn around a point because if you change bank angle your gunner will shoot your wingtip off, hence the need for pivotal altitude. Could be bulls___ or true I don' t know but it sounds plausible.

Speedtree

CFI Practicals

Nothing really unusual about mine, except that I got my CFI-I first. That was because I got my Commercial before I got my Instrument. The latter was my instructor's idea, especially because I had just gotten my Instrument with the same examiner.

I got my CFI-A, multi and MEI with an examiner who was an ex-Fed and who had a reputation of being an s-o-b while there. He turned out to be extremely fair and pleasant, and gave uneventful orals for all three practicals. This was in 1987-88; I can't recall if instructor PTSs had been instituted at that time. This was in OKC. I sent my second signoff, which was a airplane instrument add-on for a rotor pilot, to him, and he did fine. I'd recommend this examiner to anyone. Private me if you want his name.

Avbug and Nubi78 got hosed, in my .02 opinion.

Last edited:
Just thought I would comment on a common misconception. The Hold short line does not designate "clear of the runway". In the AIM, it clearly states that once all parts of the aircraft of clear of the runway surface, ATC may consider the aircraft clear of the runway. You can flip the switch as soon as your tail is clear of the runway and before the hold short line. Look it up in the Pilot/Controller glossary I believe under "Clear of Runway". Giddyup and See YOooooooooooooo!

Bobby,

Hosed, yes. However, on the positive side, it took the guy six hours to find an excuse to bust me. I guess that's something.

I have only one piece of advice. Do NOT take your CFI with the feds if you can help it.

Having to take my oral with the feds 3 F$#@!&*ing times for various b.s. reasons, I ended up doing a simulated engine out, manual gear extension, no flap, precision landing (at night). Passed.

They do not want you to know the material, just regurgitate it word for word.

The good news is that you only have to pass it once.

Good luck.

I took my intial at the Columbia SC FSDO. I was doing my MEI and it turned out to be the easiest checkride of my life. I had an oral that took not even an hour and a half. The flight portion was even simplier. The fed hadn't done a Multi ride in close to 2 years. He had me try chandells and lazy eights in a multi after I told him they weren't in the PTS. He was like "REALLY, well will do them any how" They went fine. Kept on asking if I ever shut the engine down and that was it regarding single engine work. On the way back to the airport he took the controls and landed. That was the only landing of the day and he did a good job. I passed with flying colors for about 2.5 hr oral and checkride.

I'd like to add....

After going through all this crap to get your CFI's, I can only say this.....

DON'T let them expire. Take a Gliem home refresher or upgrade your CFI. If you let it expire and decide to renew...you'll be exposing yourself to all the BS, all over again....

CFI Reinstatement

I'll second that. I've been away from flying for more than eight years. If I start flying again, I can hardly wait to suffer through all this again, if I decide to get my CFI back <sigh>.

However, there is an alternative. You can add a rating to your CFI and get the whole thing back. For example, I have a friend who is a glider CFI. He has talked about getting me my Commercial Glider and CFI-G. If I do all that, I'll have my CFI reinstated without dealing with the FAA.

I let mine expire once, and reinstated it with a checkride for a new rating. Rather than slugging through another ride, it was a fun, positive experience. Rather than just trying to get something back, I felt like I was gaining something. Not a bad way to go.

during my CFI ride, I had just completed my preflight and myself and the examiner jumped in the C-172RG. He told me to get taxi clearance to depart to the practice area. I looked at the radio and could not remember how to swith from com1 to com2 on the panel. I was so nervous, I couldn't even figure out which radio was currently selected. After my brain fart was finally over, he had me explain the function of every button and switch on the nav/com panel. I was able to collect myself and pass the checkride.

Latest resources

Back