CFI Cert. Reinstatement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

11thHour

I let my cfi cert with instrument and Multi engine ratings on it expire 3 years ago, and have decided I'd like to get it reinstated. Reading the regs (61.199) it seems I just have to do a simple checkride to get a new cfi cert with those same ratings. Am I correct in this? I don't have to retake the writtens, I don't have to a seperate checkride for each rating? Also, do I need to get a CFI to endorse me for the checkride or log any training? I'm under the impression I just schedule a checkride and trade my old cert in for a new one with the same privileges.

Note to self: Never let it expire again!!!

11th,

It used to be that with one checkride, it would automatically re-instate all of your ratings. I believe now it is at the discretion of the examiner. I have more than a few ratings on my CFI ticket, which motivated me to do the renewal thing.

More than likely that any examiner would require to to show competence in at least one area of operation per rating unless they were personally familiar with you. You might consider finding a guy at your airline that is a DE, or maybe arrange an FAA type to sit in on your next checkride if you are a captain.

I agree the whole renewal thing is a PITA, but it's better than doing a re-instatement hoop jump.

Nu

Thanks for the clarification. So am I correct in thinking I do not need to retake the writtens or get training/cfi endoresement? I don't have the regs in front of me right now, but I don't remember what they said in reference to those items.

I don't believe a written or a CFI sign off are required. I would call the DE you have picked out, and have him tell you what he needs besides a 8710, and maybe he'll let on what the plan of action might be.

A few hours of practice might be in order if you haven't flown a light plane in a while.

A pretty good review of the FAR/AIM as well as CFI stuff would be prudent, also.

Nu

11thHour said:
I let my cfi cert with instrument and Multi engine ratings on it expire 3 years ago, and have decided I'd like to get it reinstated. Reading the regs (61.199) it seems I just have to do a simple checkride to get a new cfi cert with those same ratings. Am I correct in this? I don't have to retake the writtens, I don't have to a seperate checkride for each rating? Also, do I need to get a CFI to endorse me for the checkride or log any training? I'm under the impression I just schedule a checkride and trade my old cert in for a new one with the same privileges.

Note to self: Never let it expire again!!!

I had to do this in the early 90s. I went back to my old DE and did the check in a C-152. He re-instated my CFII and MEI as well. No writtens, but I did do a few practice flights with a CFI friend before the ride. This was 15 years ago so the process may have changed.

I religiously do the on-line refresher every two years now.

TP

I also foolishly let my CFI expire. I reinstated it 2 years ago. One ride reinstated all ratings, Airplane, Instrument, Multi. No writtens required. I did take a few hours of dual with another CFI before the flight test simply because I thought it would show some effort toward the reinstatement. The flight test itself was easy, of course I have known and flown with the DE for 35 years or so. No sign off needed either. It was not cheap, by the way.

Thanks for the replies. I'm about to take the ME ATP checkride, and thought I may as well tack on the reinstatement to it. I've yet to talk to the DE, but it sounds like it may be doable. I hear ya on the $$ part.

Latest resources

Back