• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna U206G vs. Cherokee Six

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So far as lycoming vs. continental...lycomings haven't just been plagued with crank problems, with historically with valve train problems starting with the overhead camshaft and working out to the valve guides, with uneven oil distribution and wear being a comon issue at overhaul time.

I can attest to that. I've seen a brand new PA28R-201 with a Lycoming IO-360 get a stuck valve around 250 Tach. Blew oil out all over the place. Then it happened again around 600 tach. Bizarre to say the least since two new identical Arrows were purchased at the same time, both were equally used for flight training, and the other has never had the issue.

Out of about 50 other aircraft with IO-360's that's the only plane the problem occurred on in 5 years of flying them. (Granted they are not the all the exact same models, etc.) I wonder if it's just some inconsistencies in the manufacturing process.

But in regards to the subject at hand, I'd go for the 206. You can beat the crap out of them and they still keep on trucking along. Also, a Cessna rep told me there's never been a single occurrence of a single-engine Cessna break-up in flight; however, I've known of a few Saratogas lose the wing. ....and besides who really wants to be switching fuel tanks every 15 minutes :D

Also, a Cessna rep told me there's never been a single occurrence of a single-engine Cessna break-up in flight; however, I've known of a few Saratogas lose the wing. ....

Funny... a Piper rep told me the exact opposite ;)

Also, a Cessna rep told me there's never been a single occurrence of a single-engine Cessna break-up in flight;

Scott Crossfield, were he live, might beg to differ.

Yes, but it made it to overhaul time.

Not necessarily; many don't. Further, many end up necessitating problems throughout the course of their operation, and for those that do make it, cam replacement or other valve train damage (and consequently higher costs) is common.

Scott Crossfield, were he live, might beg to differ.
quote]

From the prlim NTSB (CHI06MA115)....
" A plot of the aircraft radar track data indicated that the airplane entered a level 6 thunderstorm prior to the loss of radar contact."

I don't think I'd blame that on the airplane's design or construction....

I don't think I'd blame that on the airplane's design or construction....

You probably wouldn't, and neither did I. Read. I responded to statement that no single engine Cessna has ever experienced an inflight breakup. This is false, and my assertion to the contrary, while not limited to the one single loss of Scott Crossfield's aircraft, is entirely correct.

Gotta love an aircraft salesman sales pitch. I'm sure he worded it as something like no 'new' single-engine Cessna blah blah. Who knows. I still think Cessna builds a tougher airplane in comparison to Piper.

Bottom line: don't fly through thunderstorms, respect Va, and your aircraft's limitations. ;)

g

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back