• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna quietly cancels Columbus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That would have been a nice ego boost for him ;) but not very popular with other executives... Sir, the Santulli is ready for boarding. Just imagine the raised eyebrows! :p

NJW,

if Cessna was so in love with NJ to name an airplane after them, why are you flying beechjets instead of CJ-3's?

NJW even if true it is silly to talk about after netjets cancelled those orders and all others which led to massive layoffs at cessna. By the way Colombus was not just a sailor. Check your kids history books.

NJW et all,

I tend to be favorably bais toward NJW becasue I like the product that she is selling but this is a quote from Jack J. Pelton, chairman, president, and CEO of Cessna;

"In naming this new model, we looked for a word that embodies the spirit of our company and the performance of this airplane," Pelton said. "With an adventurous and visionary attitude, explorer Christopher Columbus is globally recognized as one of the first to cross the Atlantic Ocean. That inspired us as we worked toward our design goal. The Columbus opens up so many non-stop transcontinental routes: Munich to New York, London to Dubai, Sydney to Singapore, Sao Paulo to Miami, and many other trips."

Netjets employees get a little excited about our company sometimes (as do most posters on this forum regardless of company) but I have never seen anything other than posts from other pilots claiming that this aircraft was named for Netjets Aviation.

IP

NJW, you can still save face here as Columbus, Ohio was named after Christopher Columbus the explorer. Wikipedia Reference

See? The plane was named after the city that hosts your beloved NetJets, which was named after the explorer, so that explains Santulli's quote about the explorer namesake.

O2b, If you would rather believe that Cessna chose to honor a long-gone sailor, rather than a current aviation client, that's your prerogative, but I'll go with the info closer to the source. In the interest of accurate posting, I'll double-check with my husband when he calls home tomorrow. He's in Columbus for joint meetings...

Why is that idea so far fetched? They named the entire Citation project after a horse.

I used to live in Columbus...it does not make me an authority about how Cessna names their airplanes.

NJW et all,

I tend to be favorably bais toward NJW becasue I like the product that she is selling but this is a quote from Jack J. Pelton, chairman, president, and CEO of Cessna;

"In naming this new model, we looked for a word that embodies the spirit of our company and the performance of this airplane," Pelton said. "With an adventurous and visionary attitude, explorer Christopher Columbus is globally recognized as one of the first to cross the Atlantic Ocean. That inspired us as we worked toward our design goal. The Columbus opens up so many non-stop transcontinental routes: Munich to New York, London to Dubai, Sydney to Singapore, Sao Paulo to Miami, and many other trips."

Netjets employees get a little excited about our company sometimes (as do most posters on this forum regardless of company) but I have never seen anything other than posts from other pilots claiming that this aircraft was named for Netjets Aviation.

IP

Good post....thanks.

NJW even if true it is silly to talk about after netjets cancelled those orders and all others which led to massive layoffs at cessna. By the way Colombus was not just a sailor. Check your kids history books.

Haz, when I casually passed on "insider" info about the name I didn't anticipate this much posting. That said, general interest doesn't have to end just because the project was canceled. Please note that I expressed concern for the affected workers--from the beginning. BTW, my sailor-aviation comment was made facetiously to emphasis the contrast. You might want to brush up on your reading comprehension. :erm:

NJW et all,

I tend to be favorably bais toward NJW becasue I like the product that she is selling While I appreciate your support, I dislike the negative connotation in "selling". I advocate financial security and stability for frac families that comes with respect and a professional compensation package for frac pilots. I don't consider that selling but I'll compromise on persuading...:) but this is a quote from Jack J. Pelton, chairman, president, and CEO of Cessna;

"In naming this new model, we looked for a word that embodies the spirit of our company and the performance of this airplane," Pelton said. ....

Netjets employees get a little excited about our company sometimes (as do most posters on this forum regardless of company) but I have never seen anything other than posts from other pilots claiming that this aircraft was named for Netjets Aviation. This is a good example of insider information. I'm sure other industries have their share, as well.

IP

Certainly the name has two meanings, but that is smart planning not just coincidence. In a joint leadership meeting my husband was told that Cessna would also use the explorer version to market the plane to other companies. Thus, the PR quote is not surprising. That doesn't preclude Cessna from playing up the city connection when interacting privately with the Columbus-based company placing (then) the first order. It is easy to see how the attraction of a dual purpose name would have won out over other candidates and how a smart company would make full use of the selling point it gave them. Hopefully, Cessna and NJA will meet in the future to discuss the appropriately named (on 2 levels) Columbus. Regards, NJW

... I used to live in Columbus...it does not make me an authority about how Cessna names their airplanes.

In my desire to be discreet perhaps I was too subtle? It's not the location alone. It is the fact that my husband attends many labor-management, joint leadership meetings there and participates in project planning. The authority you imply was not claimed by me. I am merely passing on a tid-bit of insider info I thought might be of interest to others in the frac community.

Latest resources

Back