Cessna Caravan..like a big 182 or 210?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

Have a different opportunity now with the chance to fly a Caravan. I've heard its like a big 182 with the turbo prop out front and taxing was the biggest challenge.

Thoughts , Comments, your expereince with it?

Yeah, the "Van" is pretty much like a C182 or C210. The plane is easy to fly, very stable (if loaded properly), and can take lots of abuse. Trues out around 160, slows down to 85 over the fence (thanks to strategically placed VGs), and can stop in very short distances. Stiff crosswind landings can get a little squirlly if you're not set up properly. Taxiing is not really a challenge unless you get strong winds. That big-o tail will want to weather vane you into the wind. You'll have to use lots of brake and power to keep her pointed in the right direction. Overall, the Caravan is an awesome plane to fly! I'm glad i've gotten the opportunity to fly it.

By the way, where do you have the opportunity to fly one?

Check out Caravan PIlots.com. It's a message board for those flying, or interested in the Caravan.

Last edited:
I loved what little time I spent in the Caravan. It's a great airplane to fly.

Landings can be a bit tricky at light weights due to a huge wing and a one piece spring-steel landing gear.

It is also very much a 'rudder-plane'. Any change in speed/pwr and you will need to retrim. Because of the design of the fuel system if you are not perfectly co-ordinated you will use more fuel out of one tank. 15 minutes out of trim and you will have a 150-200 pound imbalance. You can actually check the accuracy of the inclinometer (sp?) using the fuel gauges. Just think step of the fullest tank to resolve it.

My ultimate dream job would be a Caravan on floats job down in the islands!!!

I hope you get a chance to fly it. It won't make you rich but it sure is fun!!

Man A1 - getting to fly a Caravan at 510TT? That's awesome. Around here I can't even fly traffic watch in a decrepid 172 until 650. I'm jealous!

A1.
The Caravan is one of the most fun airplanes out there,I had a the chance to fly the Caravan ( corporate,on demand cargo and scheduled freight runs) and it was soo much fun ,I also learned alot flying it.
I would jump on the opportunity to fly it on my spare time.
it is a very easy and forgiving airplane, taxing is not that hard at all.good luck.

Latest resources

Back