• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna 414/421 New Job Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yup, last time I checked the 421 out on the ramp had a "turbo charged recip engine". But if you want to start pumping in Jet-A like they did in the old days before they took the word turbo off the side of the plane, be my guest. Ah just watch out for the extremely short cruise range.

Did I write turbine? Oops.

Anyway, wow, thanks for all the advice. I was worried that the insurance co. may not insure me. It will be interesting to see if this works out. I sure hope so, as I am getting tired of eating bread sandwiches on instructor pay...

Climb Rates

The climb rates on both 421's and 414 is not real great. With twin one would expect the climb rate to be good. well you can write that off with a 421. Not going to happen.

However a 421 is faster then a 414 for sure. When you taxi you may need to ride the brakes. The engines are geared and breaks are alot cheaper to overhaul then the engines.

Have fun with it though.

J.

Re: Climb Rates

John Hewlett said:
When you taxi you may need to ride the brakes. The engines are geared and breaks are alot cheaper to overhaul then the engines.

Not sure what this means??? What other option do you have in a C-421 if you are taxiing too fast? I have yet to see a piston twin with Beta or Reverse...

C414’s are good planes. They fly great, are stable in turbulence and haul a decent load for a piston twin (1900lbs or so with VG’s). The engines are the weak link. BE GENTLE. You’re asking a lot from those pistons everytime you takeoff and climb to altitude. Red line on the cylinders is 460 degrees F and we normally see temps in the 420’s on our stock 414. During the summer our rate of climb is limited to 500fpm or less due to cylinder head temp. We usually fly between 16-20,000’ but the engines are happier down around 12,000. As far as insurance, my provider (Airsure) wanted 1,000TT, 250 Multi and 25 in type with a qualified 414 instructor. Flight Safety is mandatory.

BTW, 40K is great pay for a low time piston twin pilot.

GOOD LUCK!
HMR

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back