Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SEVEN

First Officer Cessna 402C 12/8/2006

Largest independent Regional Airline, employee-owned, growing and dedicated to the safety and happiness of our employees and customers. We operate 49 Cessna 402C and 3 ATR-42 aircraft in 4 Regions worldwide.
Cape Air is looking for career minded candidates for our Cessna 402 First Officer Position. Upgrade to Captain approximately 4 months. Come be a part of our team of some of the best pilots in the industry.
Minimum Requirements: Commercial Multi-engine Instrument with 1400 hrs TT, 25 hrs ME-PIC time, 400 hrs cross-country time greater than 50 NM, 100 hrs night and 75 hours of instrument flight time. FAA First Class Medical and the ability to work in the U.S.
Crew Benefits: Competitive Salary, 401-K, Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance, Vacation/Personal Time, FAA Medical Reimbursement, Company Supplied Uniforms, Jump Seat Agreements with most Regional and Major Airlines. Career Advancement Programs. Fax resume to (508) 778-6233 or email to [email protected]

Minimum Requirements: Commercial Multi-engine Instrument with 1400 hrs TT, 25 hrs ME-PIC time, 400 hrs cross-country time greater than 50 NM, 100 hrs night and 75 hours of instrument flight time. FAA First Class Medical and the ability to work in the U.S.

Why are the mins so high? At this rate Cape Air will only keep the F/Os on for 100 hours before they upgrade to captain. Any chance they are going to lower mins? You can fly a jet now with 600/100, and make more money than a Cape Air F/O makes. As the pilot shortage that is developing starts to become a real shortage you will not be able to find pilots for these type of positions.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why they want FO's in a 402 in the first place? Usually they have passengers sitting up there so thats one less seat.

But with Cape Air you can upgrade and move to Guam...

They have not ran a ATR class in over a year and as far as I know there are no plans to run one soon. The most junior ATR pilot went to class around Sept 05'.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why they want FO's in a 402 in the first place? Usually they have passengers sitting up there so thats one less seat.

When the autopilot is INOP and a IFR flight plan is required part 135 requires a F/O. The GOM at Cape Air prohibits FOs from Taxing, Takeoff, and Landing so more or less you are only a cruise pilot.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Cape Air, they have some great pilots, and some great bases. The 402 is a great plane, even if it is rode hard and put up wet. Cape Air also has good MX, and for time building it does not get any better than working one on one with passengers and the hard IFR found in the Northeast. All of which a future employer should love. Anymore, if is a time building type of place, mostly because the cost of living has gone up so much in New England that with the pay you can barely make ends meet. Hopefully, this will change in the near future because of the new Union and expected raises. But as with everything involving airplanes I don't believe it until I see it.

Last edited:
It is not the GOM that prohibits the FO from doing any of things you stated. There is more to the equation than you know. You have a good connection and some insight, but not all you say is correct. My sources say an ATR class could be held very soon. You are correct, flying the 402 in New England is a great experience. You should ask "K" to show you the FOM. Talk to you later my "neighbor".

The Sack

When the autopilot is INOP and a IFR flight plan is required part 135 requires a F/O. The GOM at Cape Air prohibits FOs from Taxing, Takeoff, and Landing so more or less you are only a cruise pilot.

Not quite.

135 requires the FO but cape air may have the ability to use an autopilot in place of an FO if they desire, they are not required.

It is not the GOM that prohibits the FO from doing any of things you stated. There is more to the equation than you know. You have a good connection and some insight, but not all you say is correct. My sources say an ATR class could be held very soon. You are correct, flying the 402 in New England is a great experience. You should ask "K" to show you the FOM. Talk to you later my "neighbor".

The Sack

Hey Sack,

You would be the person in the know! The fact that a ATR class may be upcomining is awesome for you guys. I know that there are quite a few pilots over there that want to go over to Guam and get some Turbine time, and I still hope you guys get some turbines closer to home some day. As for the FOM, I will take a peak at that to refresh my memory. It has been a while you know...... My only real point is that it is getting harder to find qualified applicats for with ATPs, or people to sit right seat for a little while and then give them their ATP when the regionals are hiring at 600/100 (ick). I am a believer in the upcoming pilot shortage!

Not quite.

135 requires the FO but cape air may have the ability to use an autopilot in place of an FO if they desire, they are not required.

Here it is, everytime someone trys to "shorten up" a reg on here there always seems to be some misunderstanding. So I'll post the reg. so that there is no misunderstanding to why Cape Air needs F/Os.

But let it be clear that 99% (100% for those crews based around the equator, haha) of the time you will not be flying with a F/O as the autopilot will be used in lieu of a F/O. It just does not make business since to always have a f/o.

Sec. 135.101 Second in command required under IFR.

Except as provided in Sec. 135.105, no person may operate an
aircraft carrying passengers under IFR unless there is a second in
command in the aircraft.

ec. 135.105 Exception to second in command requirement: Approval for use of autopilot system.

(a) Except as provided in Secs. 135.99 and 135.111, unless two
pilots are required by this chapter for operations under VFR, a person
may operate an aircraft without a second in command, if it is equipped
with an operative approved autopilot system and the use of that system
is authorized by appropriate operations specifications. No certificate
holder may use any person, nor may any person serve, as a pilot in
command under this section of an aircraft operated in a commuter
operation, as defined in part 119 of this chapter unless that person has
at least 100 hours pilot in command flight time in the make and model of
aircraft to be flown and has met all other applicable requirements of
this part.

(b) The certificate holder may apply for an amendment of its
operations specifications to authorize the use of an autopilot system in
place of a second in command.

[[Page 665]]

(c) The Administrator issues an amendment to the operations
specifications authorizing the use of an autopilot system, in place of a
second in command, if--
(1) The autopilot is capable of operating the aircraft controls to
maintain flight and maneuver it about the three axes; and
(2) The certificate holder shows, to the satisfaction of the
Administrator, that operations using the autopilot system can be
conducted safely and in compliance with this part.
The amendment contains any conditions or limitations on the use of
the autopilot system that the Administrator determines are needed in the
interest of safety.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back