• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna 210 tips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Once you get used to the 210, they are beautiful to fly and are quite simple. The biggest problems I saw with new freight pilots was just after landing after a medium or long flight. Just about the time the plane was slow enough to turn off the runwy, the engine would quit. It can be aweful hard to restart and rather embarassing if there is traffic behind you.

An old 210 guy gave me and the other pilots a little tip that really helped. After touchdown on your rollout, just give the throttlt a little turn to the right while you are breaking to keep the rpm's up around 1500 or so and then let the plane idle for about 30 seconsd before you cut the mixture. After that, I in't have any problems with it.

If I had the cash, I would buy one (or a 206) for my personal use. What a good, solid airplane.

On that fuel system, don't forget that with the Bendix RSA your fuel flow is measuring pressure drop, not actual fuel flow.

A Bendix RSA system on a C-210???????????????????/

tathepilot said:
being that we are on the subject. i fly a ce210, i believe it is a 78' model.

turbo, intercooler, factor oxygen, i forget the model number.
i have a problem with the aircraft let me explan.

the first start of the day, 99% of the time works no problem.

let's say i fly for 1 hour, land, and than 15-20 minutes later, i have trouble starting..
i get mixed answers on how i should be doing the start..

the owner that we bought the a/c from told me to do the following:
use the fuel pump to get the fuel flow needle jumping (mixture rich), than proceed to start with the mixture lean, than advance mixture on start....

many other people tell me to use no fuel pump....

im wondering how others start a warm/semi-warm 210.... i love this a/c it is a great bird, but i hate the thought of killing the battery, and i have a few times..

Well, it's not a 210, but I flew a Cessna Ag Husky for a while one season a few years ago. Turboed and injected 300hp Continental. It was a BEAR to restart when hot. The proceedure that worked best for me was to hit the boost pump for about 15 seconds with the mixture full rich to get the pressure up. Then, I'd start cranking with the throttle cracked and mixture back at idle cutoff, and start advancing it up to full rich while cranking. The engine would usually light off when the mixture got between about half to 3/4 of the way up. When she fired off I'd just advance the throttle and keep it running until she smoothed out. Worked just about every time as long as the battery was good and hot. I would think that the same or similar proceedure would work on the 210.

blzr said:
Once you get used to the 210, they are beautiful to fly and are quite simple. The biggest problems I saw with new freight pilots was just after landing after a medium or long flight. Just about the time the plane was slow enough to turn off the runwy, the engine would quit. It can be aweful hard to restart and rather embarassing if there is traffic behind you.

An old 210 guy gave me and the other pilots a little tip that really helped. After touchdown on your rollout, just give the throttlt a little turn to the right while you are breaking to keep the rpm's up around 1500 or so and then let the plane idle for about 30 seconsd before you cut the mixture. After that, I in't have any problems with it.
Yep. With the n/a IO-520, I usually tried to keep it above 1,000 rpms ...one time I didn't and the engine quit right after landing ...took at least 10 minutes before I could restart, sitting there barely off of the runway ...probably gave the tower guys a good laugh

agpilot34 said:
Well, it's not a 210, but I flew a Cessna Ag Husky for a while one season a few years ago. Turboed and injected 300hp Continental. It was a BEAR to restart when hot. The proceedure that worked best for me was to hit the boost pump for about 15 seconds with the mixture full rich to get the pressure up. Then, I'd start cranking with the throttle cracked and mixture back at idle cutoff, and start advancing it up to full rich while cranking. The engine would usually light off when the mixture got between about half to 3/4 of the way up. When she fired off I'd just advance the throttle and keep it running until she smoothed out. Worked just about every time as long as the battery was good and hot. I would think that the same or similar proceedure would work on the 210.

yes, i believe it is the same powerplant... i must give that a try.... thanks..!!!

Tinstaafl said:
GPS makes it very, very easy if you have ETE to the destination displayed.

The Garmin 430's/530's have the function page that gives the rate of descent needed at the time, for the altitude and distance from the airport/waypoint you desire.

I live by mine for descent rates and time out my ETA with the inches of MP I need to back off of at a rate of 1" per minute.

If center doesn't give me the 800 fpm that I request (which I don't have to often), I'm slowing her down anyway.

After landing, I taxi slowly to the ramp and shut down after 5 min have lapsed.

I have Ram VI's with 100 hours on them now (they were brand new when I bought the airplane), but I still baby them.

As far as hot starts, I use the same method as agpilot.

My 340 isn't as hard as my old IO 470 in my previous Bonanza. That girl was a bytch to hot start and only gave you one chance to do it.

I learned quickly that if I blew it.... I'd be sitting on the ramp for awhile before I could try it again.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back