cessna 206 IO-540 problems

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chrisrj83

I work for a small charter airline, we fly cessna 206's and 172's. Anyways, the 2000 206 with the IO-540 had the engine crap out on us. On it's last 100 hr inspection there were metal shavings in the oil. Lycoming told us that the engine was out of warente and there was nothing the could do about it. I know that there has been some AD's and other problems with the 540's lately. My question is has anyone else run into this problem, and how was it solved?

Just to make sure we're clear...you found metal shavings, and then continued to operate the airplane right up to an engine failure, after being told by Lyc that the warranty wouldn't be honored?

no, we stopped operating the airplane took the engine out to have it overhauled. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem because if enough people go to lycoming with the same problem they might have to do something about it.

Still not clear. You wonder if any other Lycoming O-540 has made metal?

How does finding metal suggest the engine "crapped out?"

because we were told it was no longer safe to fly, and the engine was taken out..... If we continued to fly it the engine would not have lasted much longer. I'm not sure what else you need to know??

"Crapped out" infers that the engine failed in some way. Apparently it was making metal. This could have been a number of things, from a failing oil pump to bearings. The nature of the metal, how it was discovered, the concentraton, etc, hasn't been divulged. Thus far, asking if other lycoming engines have made metal is a little like asking if any other Fords have ever been in a car accident.

If the warranty was no longer in effect, it was no longer in effect.

Do you use regular, consistant spectrometric oil analysis?

Okay...so far the right question to ask is w(h)eather or not other lyc 540 series engines have failed for the same reason...but you don't know the reason, which makes the question very difficult to address.

Was additive LW-16702 used in the oil? Were all SB's and AD's complied with? What type metal was found? Was cold weather operation involved? Did oil loss occur? Are you talking bearing failure as in starved bearing, or spun bearing? Was the proper oil used? How frequent were oil changes? How was the engine being operated? How much time was on the engine, and under what conditions? Which bearing? How much material? How was it discovered? Did it have brass piston plugs? How often was the aircraft operated?

Sounds like you have it in the shop, and will have your answers. It also sounds like you're trying to find a way to get Lycoming to pay for the damages. Why not wait until you have something solid to go by...like knowing the cause and the result, before attempting to pigeon hole someone's pocket for the repairs?

Avbug, why are you so totally arrogant. Did you fail in your calling to become a lawyer and prosecutor? ggg.

f9driver said:
Avbug, why are you so totally arrogant. Did you fail in your calling to become a lawyer and prosecutor? ggg.

Thank you, I'm just trying to find out if anyone else has had similar problems, not looking for the third degree.

Latest resources

Back