Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
I have saved up about 20k over the last few years and would like to purchase either a Cessna 152 or 172. However, I can only afford a older 172 (around a 1960) or a late model 152. Which do you think I should go for? I hope to possibly do some instructing in it as a side job after I get my CFI.

If all you have to spend is 20K and you're not willing to spend any more than that - I'd buy a 150 or 152. 20K isn't going to buy you a lot of 172. You might find an older model for that amount, but I can't imagine it's in very good shape.

Personally, I think if you were to wait a bit and increase that limit to 30K or more - you'd open up a lot more options, at least as far as the quality of the plane is concerned.

An option you might look at is getting an aircraft loan. You can get them at a pretty low rate and it is for 10 years so it can be pretty cheap. Put this with your money and get a good 172 that you can instruct with (incl IFR) and you could easily make your payments. Theoretically.

Or, you could get a loan for the whole amount, 30K or so, and keep your money working for you. Just some thoughts.

I think the C-172 is the better deal. I think the production numbers for the 172 are much larger and of course they are back in production. The C-152 is a dwindling resource and therefore the price comparison per lb or useful load or hp or however you want to call it is higher in the C-152, IMHO. Of course the C-172 has more operational flexibility having more room, useful load, etc. Most C-152 have been used (and abused) by flight schools. If you search hard enough you might find some C-172s that have been privately owned and cared for. If you only expected to do flight instruction to small to normal frame people then save a little $ and get a C-152 (if you can find one in good shape). The operational costs are not that much more and I think you will find a wider selection in the C-172.

The whole money issue aside, if you plan to instruct, get a 172. Two normal size adult males in a 152 with full gas puts you at gross. If you have any students that are 180 or heavier, you may start to push it. I know many on this board and throughout aviation have flown 152's over gross, but it's a very bad example to set for your students.

Additionally, the 172 is much better platform to learn instruments in.

172. You can do far more flying in a 172 than in a 152. You can take your students nearly all the way to single-engine Commercial in a 172. You'd just have to find them a retractable for the ten hours of dual and complex signoff for the Commercial.

I know you asked about 152 vs. 172 But for a trainer you might consider the Piper Cherokee 140 they have comparable performance to a 172 and for a given model cost substantialy less. I personaly prefer the 69 and newer models because of the updated panel, all have the same performance make great trainers and can be bought for near the 152 price.

Some engine parts for the pre 68 172 with the Continental engine are getting hard to find. Just food for thought.

Latest resources

Back