• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna 152 or 172 for training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks guys for the responses. You guys make good points about both aircraft. I would almost rather start out with the 152 and try that and see how that works, mainly because of the cost factor. Speaking of costs, how much $$ did you guys spend on your private and in what plane? What is the average cost just to obtain a private?

I spent $3500 back in '96 flying a 152 (57 hours). Students these days can spend closer to $5000 in the same plane I flew (in the pacific NW). A 172 would run you about $1000 more to get your license. If you can fit in the 152 and be comfortable, I would go with it.

Last edited:
Even if you get your private in the 172, I would consider using the 152 when you build time for your commercial license. It’s a fun airplane, and the weight will be right when you fly it solo.

I agree with "eagleflip." Either aircraft would be fine, really, but I have a feeling you would like a 172 better, and here's why. You might find a 152 cramped. Also, after loading the airplane with fuel, you and your instructor, performance won't be exactly supersonic. One other point: You can do virtually all your training to Commercial single in a 172. A 172 is a much more stable instrument platform than a 152. You can to all your cross-countries and learn the commercial maneuvers in a 172.

If cost is a factor, try out the 150/2. I did my private in 99 for under 3500 bucks. Part 61. My cfi was 6'2 210 lbs and I'm 5'10 160. I did my training in mid June. It was very very hot and humid and the performance sucked. We used every inch of runway possible. Also, we couldn't head out with full tanks which was a pain in the butt for cross countries. However, I did save money. The comfort level sucked. Money was a factor so I dealt with it. During my solo flights, it was a blast. Solo'ing for the first time was an eye opener, that thing jumped off the runway on take off. It was amazing the difference when he was out of the plane. Thats when I really enjoy myself!

If your CFI is a taller/heavier person himself, you may not at all enjoy flying in the smaller cessna. May actually affect your training progress. So, when shopping around at flight schools, scope out the CFI's for size! ;)

Traci

Private cost

Cost will depend on four primary factors: (1) cost per hour of the airplane you fly; (2) cost per hour of your instructor; (3) weather, maintenance and aircraft availability; and (4) you.

I'll start with the last first. If you take instruction and criticism well, come to the airport prepared for each flight and are ready to learn, then you should do fine. Even the best students have trouble grasping some concepts. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and you are no exception. But you should do fine if you are ready and willing to learn and take criticism. After being involved in athletics at a high level of participation, that should be no problem for you.

You can estimate the cost of training using factors (1) and (2). I suspect a 152 goes for $50 - $60 an hour. You will fly it at least 40 hours. Your instructor will charge something like $20 - $30 an hour. He/she will charge for ground time as well as flight time. Most people need more than forty hours for the Private. A lot of that depends on factors (3) and (4). Most people have to canx flights because of weather and mx at least a couple of times, and sometimes aircraft aren't always available. I already discussed (4).

If luck is with you and you can fly three or four times a week, you can get your Private in four to six weeks. Don't forget about ground school; it'll help if you can pass the written sooner rather than later. I had to stop while I was getting my Private to take the written.

Hope all this helps. Good luck with your training.

how about this

You guys talked about the size of the instructor that plays a factor in which plane I fly. Well I know one guy who is an instructor who I took a ride with who probably weighs about 140-150 lbs and is about 5'8"-5'10". How would that be in a 152? I would really like to start off in the 152, due to the cost, so maybe I'll just look for a light instructor.

If bucks are not a big problem, go with the 172 for all the reasons everybody has said, however, 210 lbs plus instructor weight will probably make the 152 out if the question anyway. Both airplanes are a joy to fly and learn in. Have fun a get out there.

It seems that some people are confused.

6'2"/175lb (the original poster) is just fine for a 150/152.
6'2"/210lb is also fine, depending on instructor weight, and how much fuel you take.

I'm 6'3" and (was) 175lb when I trained and instructed on 150's. Fitting in a 150 was never an issue. It's cozy but not really cramped. I actually used to enjoy flying the 150 more than the 172. When I spent a whole day in the air, however, I would often yearn for the relative comfort of a 172's bigger and softer seats.

I have always thought the 150 to be the superior trainer. WHY?
It is more demanding of smoothness from the student since it is more responsive. This responsiveness, in turn, leads the student to have a better "feel" for the airplane (which is what flying is all about, isn't it?). With regards to the 150 being easier to fly in gusty conditions: believe me, if you can land a 150 in a 15 knot crosswind component, you can land a 172 in the same. Finally, the little 150 is just plain more FUN. :D

Oilcanbland asked: "You guys talked about the size of the instructor that plays a factor in which plane I fly. Well I know one guy who is an instructor who I took a ride with who probably weighs about 140-150 lbs and is about 5'8"-5'10". How would that be in a 152?"

Absolutely fine at your weight and even a little more (you'll get full tanks too). The POH does a weight and balance at about 170lb for each occupant so you've got at least 340lbs to play with for the front seats (no that there's any back seats ;-)) and full fuel-of course you'll need to check the POH for your model to make sure.

Go the 150/52 you'll love it-it's a GREAT little plane. I'm buzzing around now in a 180hp 172RG and it feels like a bloody tank compared to the Sparrow.....

Matt

Latest resources

Back