Cesna Crashed Near Teterboro


Well-known member
Mar 13, 2003

Pilot killed in small plane crash near Teterboro Airport

The Associated Press

SOUTH HACKENSACK, N.J. - A small plane crashed into the wall of a post office building near Teterboro Airport Friday evening, killing the pilot and injuring a passenger, authorities said. No one on the ground was injured.

The single-engine Cessna 177 struck the South Hackensack Post Office building on Huyler Street shortly before 9:30 p.m. as the pilot was trying to land, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, which operates the airport. The pilot had reported an engine problem shortly before the crash, Coleman said.

The plane ended up crumpled nose-first against a brick wall near a loading dock.

Both the pilot and passenger were women, Coleman said. Their identities were not released.

The passenger was taken to Hackensack University Medical Center for treatment of a head injury, Coleman said. A hospital spokeswoman said she could not release information on the patient's condition.

The crash site is about a half-mile from Teterboro Airport, one of the nation's busiest small airports. It handles a steady stream of corporate and small package delivery aircraft and had more than 200,000 arrivals and departures in 2004. The airport is about 12 miles west of midtown Manhattan.

Teterboro was closed to all traffic from 9:25 p.m. to 10:45 p.m. because of the crash, Coleman said.

There have been three previous accidents at the Bergen County airport this year, two in which planes skidded off runways and a third in which a plane crashed while trying to land.

-On Feb. 2, a twin-jet corporate plane with 11 people aboard ran off the end of a runway after an aborted takeoff, crossed a busy highway and slammed into a warehouse, injuring 20 people.

-A month later, two passengers and two crew members walked away uninjured when another business plane overshot a runway and got stuck in snow and mud.

-In May, a pilot was injured when a small, twin-engine turboprop crashed and burst into flames while landing.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating Friday's crash, said FAA spokeswoman Arlene Murray.

September 2, 2005 11:58 PM


The Ultimate Show Stopper
Jan 24, 2004
Total Time
I'm impressed, defintely one of the better written articles by the media concerning an accident. The facts seem to be all there, and information properly stated, without any silly statements.

Certainly our condolenses go out to the pilots family, and well wishes for recovery to the passenger. Always hate to hear about something like this.