Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Central Air Southwest & Key Lime Air...any info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew for Central Air once upon a time. Right seat filled predominently with lazy, stinky French guys. This was particularly troublesome as the Twin Commander has a trim wheel on the overhead panel. I'd recommend that you bring deodorant and breath mints if you work with them (I am actually not kidding about this). You are expected to be a CFI with these guys, while trying to keep a tight schedule. Also, I recall many times where I was forced to choose between cargo and the weight of the seat meat in the right seat. Each and every time resulted in veiled threats from the company. Do you leave the poor bastard who's paying for SIC time and hose him (and also get on the wrong side of the company), or do you leave paid freight (and get on the wrong side of the company), or do you takeoff overweight (and get on the wrong side of the FAA), or do you fudge the paperwork, make everyone happy and hang your own A$$ on the line??? This was a nightly dilemma that I held the line on and was not popular for.

The owner is an interesting cat. All I can say is that you should do a google search for lawsuits regarding Central Air Southwest - makes for interesting reading. I had an FAA inspector look at my logbook once and when he saw all of that AC-500 time he asked me if I had worked there. When I told him yes he commented that I was lucky to have my tickets - and for that matter my life! True story!!!

I will say this: the time was good, the experience was good, and the only way to make it out of there with your tickets and your health is to be strong willed and uncompromising about the FAR's and the maintenance of the aircraft. And when you do stand toe to toe with "the man", make sure you know what you're talking about and have all of your ducks in a row so to speak (see earlier lawsuit referencs).

PIPE

Like I said.......I don't think it's worth it to buy time like that and now I don't think it's worth it to work for someone who lets people buy time like that. Especially a bunch of stinky foriegners. Damm I can't spell tonight!

I'm not quoting anyone.....Screw those places! They should focus on making money with cargo. Not someone they probably should hire!!??

Thanks guys

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to reply but the website was not letting me respond. Hopefully this one will go through. I have 1800 + hours but only 12 hours of twin time so that is why I am looking into the second in command program. I have been flying single engine Part 135. Prior to that... part time jump pilot and part time CFI.

I don't really want to pay for training either but this is the cheapest way to do it for me.

1) CFIing in a twin would cost more money since I would have to get more ratings and take a pay cut. Plus it would take a long time.

2) Flying for a company that upgrades with a twin rating only (Ram Air, Air Express, etc.) would work but they are on the East coast or in the Midwest and I have kids, wife, house, etc on the West Coast. The wife may be for sale but that would be later. I also would like to get on a company that offers opportunity to grow beyond a piston twin. Empire or Mountain Air Cargo might be an option but I am leary of being stuck in a single engine for a long time. If anyone has info on upgrades in these companies let me know.

3) Splitting time is an option (Ari Ben Aviator) but that is still more expensive then the second in command program plus half of it is as a safety pilot.

Anyways, that is why I am looking at the SIC programs. It has to be the right company for the right reasons. No stealing pilot jobs, getting hosed, etc. I was laughing pretty hard about the French time builders. I have been to a couple of 3rd world countries in my life time and I can say I have never smelled something quite as bad as a European who is afraid of a bath and a stick of deodrant. Speaking of which...Central Air is looking for Commnder pilots on 350.com.

What kind of pay does Key Lime Air offer in their turbines? At this point and time I think Ameriflight may have the most to offer but I am all ears to any other thoughts.

If the only time you are short on is multi, but meet all the 135 IFR PIC requirements (500 point-to-point XC, 100 night, 75 instrument), then fill out an application, especially with Ameriflight. You never know, some people get hired on with very low multi at places, and maybe all they will ask to see is some recency of multi experience, which you could get by renting a twin for less money than an SIC program. You won't know unless you throw out an app and then follow up with the company. The fact you have some other 135 experience should be a help to you. When you do get the interview, make sure to get some simulator time in the same type sim you will see on the interview. Good luck.

Casw

I fly for Central Air. They're not bad right now. I'm based in Grand Rapids, Love the experience. The pay is 1,700 for probation the first 4 months and then goes up after that. They do require you to agree to six months. The others are right about the PFT program.....you're a flight instructor when they go w/ you. Most can't fly for crap, they get their 600 hours and scare more Captains at the airlines. Last time I asked our SIC what he was paying (and laughing at him) he said $35/hr with a $2,500 training fee.

As far as mx goes...I have no complaints, and then again i'm based at GRR where we have Rapid Air fix all our squawks. You write it up....it gets fixed! I really think that the best base is GRR, planes get fixed and you don't have to see the boss. At MKC you see the bosses everyday. I talk to the office once a week just to get next weeks schedule. I'm not sure about other bases.

So far my experience has been good. As long as you work with them they'll work with you. That's just my experience. When I go back for recurrent in June i'll take my ATP checkride at the companies expense.

Thanks

Thanks for all of the info guys. It helps out. I'll keep investigating and do a "search" on the previously posted questions/comments about the various companies I am considering. I should have done that earlier but I am still going through Initial Operating Experience (IOE) with this web site and didn't even notice the "search" section.

Latest resources

Back