Center of gravity PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilatus96

The brother is doing a school project and he needs to know the formula for finding the center of gravity on an airplane and what all of the variables stand for. We have looked on the Internet, but have not been able to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Total Moment/Total Weight = CG

Pretty basic stuff here if you are a pilot - If the weight of an item changes or its location within the aircraft (arm) then the calculated CG will change.

this is pretty basic stuff. i hope you are looking for an engineering level answer here. you can dive into this more by studying the "Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" book. most pilots i know either own this or have heard about it. If you don't have it, get it or borrow it from someone. Pretty dry stuff but it will increase your knowledge 10 fold.

I studied aerospace engineering for one semester, but that was three years ago. What is total moment again? thanks again for the Help.

I'm guessing you don't really have 3000 total time... You fly jets and turboprops and you don't know what total moment is, yeah, right!

ok, one other book worth mentioning. "The Advanced Pilots Flight Manual" by William K. Kershner.

" A MOMENT normally results fom a force (or weight) acting at the end of an arm (at a 90 degree angle to it) and is usually expressed as pound-inches or pound feet"

i.e. distance x force or weight = MOMENT

does that help?

sleddriver71 said:
I'm guessing you don't really have 3000 total time... You fly jets and turboprops and you don't know what total moment is, yeah, right!

I'm equally skeptical that he has even a semester of any sort of engineering. this is first semester stuff in any engineering cirriculum. .

A Squared said:
I'm equally skeptical that he has even a semester of any sort of engineering. this is first semester stuff in any engineering cirriculum. .

..are you kidding....any astute private pilot should know this, let alone an commerical pilot. This guy should have his old books laying around too. I doubt his credentials too.

The FAA also publishes a "Weight and Balance Handbook" that can be viewed online as a PDF.

http://faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/FAA-S-8083-1.pdf

you gotta be freggin kiddin me dude.......

fix your profile so you dont look like a bigger idiot

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back