Center of Class B?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aroden

I believe that the largest or busiest airport is the geographical center of a given Class B Airspace but what defines the center of the 25 mile veil?

The VOR nearest the airport? Just wondering because the veil and the class b over houston are offset a little...so they can't be using the same geographical center for both.

There is no "standard center". Each Class B is different, and some are not circles. Some are odd shaped with no obvious center.
What is the point of your question?

I was asked that during my commercial checkride. I didn't know the answer so the DE told me but my mind was in such a fog by the end of the test that I don't remember the answer.

He pointed at the houston class b and asked me what the geographical center was - I told him it was the largest airport in the area. Then he wanted to know which part of the airport was the center - was it the approach end of the runway, the geographical center of the airport, or what?

Then he pointed to the veil around class b and noted that it was offset and asked what the center of the veil was - I didn't know so he told me. But now I'm trying to write up my notes and I can't remember the answer.

Anyway, that's the point of the question...I'm just trying to organize things in case I get asked the same questions again on another checkride.

FAR 71.41 "Each Class B airspace area designated for an airport in subpart B of FAA Order 7400.9M contains at least one primary airport around which the airspace is designated."
FAR 91.215(B)(2)"In all airspace within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed in Appendix D, Section 1, of this part from the surface upward to 10,000 feet MSL."

Don't worry about his specific questions. He is/was digging for trivia which has no practical purpose except to rattle you.

Center of the 30NM Veil could be based off the ARP - Airport Reference Point. Don't know though. BTW the ARP is the theoretical center of all runways.

Gotta dig a little for a chart with Houston on it, but it appears that way for MCI, FTW, and STL.

The rings around a class B airport are from the "geographical center", whatever that is. Many class B areas have more than one primary airport so there are multiple "centers." The 30nm Mode C veil was started when TCAs became class B and Mode C transponders weren't required for just about everyone. Now that many Class B areas have grown so much, the Mode C veil is actually INSIDE the outer Class B lateral areas. I find that amusing.

Anyway, the 30nm veil is centered around AN airport. You have to look at the chart to find it. I think it's hobby in Houston.

All you need to know that is if you're IFR, you're cleared in; VFR and you need to be cleared in. Who cares where it starts or ends!!! :beer:

aroden said:
I believe that the largest or busiest airport is the geographical center of a given Class B Airspace but what defines the center of the 25 mile veil?

I believe that the center of Bravo airspace is the TSA break room!

Latest resources

Back