Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyinlow67

Scary

Granted I don't have nearly as much time as most pilots here, but I am really having second thoughts about applying to a regional after reading the posts here. Is it really that bad out there? Between airlines going bankrupt, QOL issues, people bitching about pay, and just plain grumbling, flying night freight doesn't seem so bad.
Is it really worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
This industry is what you make of it. If you love to fly and you know all the "bad" things about the industry prior to entering, then you really can't b!tch about anything too much. I used to fly night freight for Airnet Express and have since left and now fly for a regional. The night freight thing is great but after two years I couldn't stand the schedule. Also, take people's attitudes on this board with a grain of salt. The people who are really unhappy tend to complain more about how they hate things and the people who are happy or content tend not to chime in as much. As a result, everything seems to have a bit of a negative slant to it. If you really want to pursue this career, go for it. It sounds like you have an understanding of strikes, furloughs, pay cuts, and all the rest of the stuff people complain about so if you can live with that stuff then go for it and enjoy it. We could use some more positive people for the long run.

Unfortunatly its in a pilots nature to complain.... We'll never be happy.

(just a generalization)

As a man it's also in my nature to want to bang every girl I see. That doesn't mean I do or that it's a good idea to try.

I do love to fly, and I still like the job I am in now.
I am a second career guy. I worked as a paramedic for 16 years, and enjoyed the work. The reason I got out was dealing with union/management issues and I got tired of people griping about how bad off they were, when it really wasn't all that bad. It was the constant back and forth that made it bad. So, I do know a thing or two about how it gets with union/management.
As for the rest, I agree with Dirk. The people who are happy with thier jobs need to speak up and tell the new people on here, the other side of the story if you have one.
I think people can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.

Nobody said it was easy, thats why everybody dont fly airplanes for a living.

HTML:
 As a man it's also in my nature to want to bang every girl I see. 
That doesn't mean I do or that it's a good idea to try.

I think that would be a great idea for you to try;)

If you're looking for a regional job (since that is where its posted) that isn't affiliated with a union, then look into Skywest. If your looking for a job with a little bit more security than the regionals then look into AirNet, or a company like that like the "Star" said. Not necessarily a check hauling company, but maybe look into the cargo guys that haul car parts too. Seeing that this is your second career, night freight can be hard to pull off if you are married with kids. It can work, but in certain situations can be tough (commuting to base). I wish you the best of luck on your decision.

I can add that I am pretty disapponted with the way the industry is going. After the cost of college and flight school it is disappointing to get a job at a regional making 20K. The regionals are under paid, but you have to start somewhere. for what to go to the majors, which one, most of the majors are in financial trouble. What kind of QOL will that be not knowing if you are going too have a job the next day. I could go on and on, but it is late and I have to get up early! I love my job but hate the industry.

The union/non-union thing isn't really an issue for me, and the kids are gone, so the QOL issue isn't bad either.

I still have till Jan left on my agreement with my current company, and past that, I might start applying, (I am always looking).

Latest resources

Back