Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATADave

Hi,

Does anyone have any information on a commercial airport/facilities publication called “The Cellular Pilot”? I used this publication for a number of years and liked it, but I have not been successful contacting them to reorder. Are they still in business?

If not, what is the best replacement? I liked Cell Pilot because it was shaped similar to the Skyguide (not bulky) and fit nicely in my bag. I also liked the fact that it had most of the larger international destinations.

Thanks for any help or advice,
Dave

I do remember those but I haven't seen them around these days. We keep AC-U-KWIK in our aircraft. Yes they are small and bulky but I think you can also get it on your PDA or cell too.

Thanks for your replies guys,

I appreciate the help!

brvopilot

Thanks. See below

Rubberneck

Thanks. I have the ’05 editions as well. I think I scored 3 of them a couple of years ago. That number has been disconnected.

Sirius100

Thanks. I took your advice and researched the idea of a PDA based solution. This was a great idea and would actually work better for me than having to keep a book in every airplane I fly. I suppose my lack of knowledge assisted me in getting lured into the AK-U-KWIK PDA based program. I knew there was something not normal when the purchase instructions did not inquire as to the OS of my PDA. It wasn’t until after I had purchased it for $100.00 that I realized that it is not a device-based program at all, but rather a web-based service. It won’t work unless you have a web-capable device. I do have one, but its use overseas is prohibitively expensive as I am charged international roaming rates to surf. Even if I could afford it, I’m looking to replace the airport directory. The one I use to look up the FBO frequency 50 miles from the airport. I don’t fly anything with satellite internet, so this just simply will not work for me. I must say that the AC-U-KWIK folks refunded my $100.00 immediately and with no questions asked, so I don’t want to appear that I’m on here bashing AC-U-KWIK. I was beginning to believe that their little square book might be my only option. Again, it’s a great product, but the “Cell Pilot” had most of the international stuff I needed.

I stayed with your idea of a device-based solution to my dilemma. I searched “Pocket Gear” and sure enough found a service called “eFAD2Go”. It appears to be a web-based service as well, but for $80.00/year, it comes with a device-based (U.S. only) airport directory. Now, I already have and use a similar program called “Airport Insight”. It’s perfect, except that it has no FBO information. The “eFAD2Go” program looks great as well. It has all of the FBO and frequency information, but does not come with a time/distance calculator like “Airport Insight” does. This device based time/distance calculator is a critical flight planning tool for me as it allows me to very quickly give someone a quote while they’re on the phone. I can’t really remember, but I think the annual subscription to “Airport Insight” was around $54.00.

So here’s the bottom line:

“Airport Insight” – Time/distance calculator – no FBO information
“eFAD2Go” – FBO information – No Time/distance calculator

The first one of these two that I can get to add a feature, I’ll discontinue the other. If anyone out there is aware of a publication or device-based program that has these features, please let me know.

Thanks again,
Dave

Latest resources

Back