• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cell phone companies...

Brian,

First, clean out your mailbox, dude.

You said the same thing I did in your first post.

Cell companies are HUGE billion dollar companies.
They do lose money if you "tag" sites.
They all have/are currently being sued for illegel billing practices (sidenote). My company have never errored my bill for less money, however they have charged me more, charged me for calls in states I haven't been to, etc; about two dozen times.

The only thing that raise's your bill is thier GREED.

Having said all that, using your phone inflight is a bad idea, unless it is an emergency.

Cheers

(My Opinion?
If it was really that big of a problem, cell phone companies would develop or implement technology to prevent cell phones from tagging multiple sites, or disconnecting them immidiately when they do.)

They do disconnect the service of those individuals who break the inflight rules. There was an article in one of the aviation publications about the service provider in Florida shutting off the service of customers they caught tagging multiple sites. Service disconnection was from 24 to 48 hours.

Besides - whether one chooses to use it in the air illegally or not is no one's business except for that person. Since I don't own any cell phone companies, I could quite frankly care less.
I agree totally, with the only addition being the FCC & FAA... lots of busy-bodies out there.

If you're going to fire up your cell phone in the air, it might be smart to use it at the right time. Like not flying along on the phone at 300-kts, above 1000-2000' agl or using it too much. Over downtown Miami might not be too good either.

If that guy who got tagged with $10 G or so in charges really existed, then I bet he was talking dirty to his woman for an hour or so, lighting up half the cells in the state.

BTW, did anyone ever offer any comments on which products work best?

First, decide what you want to be
when you grow up, a PILOT, or Phone
Operator.

Does anyone have the specific FCC reg under 47 CFR that addresses in-flight issues. I need to make a point to my boss and his family who have used their cell phones in air despite having been told in briefings not to use them. Is it likely that the PIC could ever face fines for letting someone else violate the FCC regs.?

47 CFR 22.925

I would imagine that only the cell user would be subject to prosecution under 47 CFR. The pilot would be liable for anything caused by navigation or communication equipment malfunctions resulting from a passenger's cell phone use.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back