Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The_Russian

Low Level Pilot
What's up with Cecil? it was supposed to be a Master Jet Base. Now the city of Jax doesn't want to give it back to the Navy. They think the Navy will hurt the economy in Jax. Anyone have any recent info? Last I heard they were turning it into an industrial park!

Don't know anything other than I played a lot of golf there with my grandfather. I had an alligator scare the crap out of me when I was about 14 yrs old. Needless to say, if a ball went in the water, it stayed in the water!

cecil is trying to become an aviation commerce center. currently there is a company doing jet cargo refits, and supposedly anothe companu is going to build a new jetprop army transport there. so far it is a bunch of empty land for the most part. i would have thought they would have made a run for piper but they didn't.
one wierd note however, on july 4 there was a tfr for dick cheny, for 1600 to 1650 local, while around 1500 two russian jets landed from central america and went off to ireland after the tfr. no mention in the press, but the tfr was there and the russians were on the flightaware tracker.

The mayor was all for the Navy coming back, then came the pressure from all the contractors that have their eyes on all the land that surrounds Herlong Field, all the way to Cecil. All the nieghbors in the recent developments around area that were built after Cecil closed then jumped on board with the contractors siting the airplanes noise will be too much. After pressures from 3 or 4 groups in JAX, the Mayor then fovored not bringing the Navy back.

But as for the airplane noise. To this day, P-3's, S-3's, F-18's, A-6's etc; still practice there, fly low around the area, just as always.

By the way, the people opposed to the Navy coming back becuase of noise, and not to mention the danger with aircraft flying around thier hoods, are all on board to make it a space port to luanch spacecraft into space.

Money talks.............

Ah, Cecil Field, the champagne of Master Jet Bases. It was so far out in the boonies that noise was never a problem, till the greedy McSubdivision developers wanted some cheap swamp land to build tract (garbage) homes for Mr. and Mrs. Cletus T. Backwoods Redneck McMarrycousin. Who can forget nights at Whitehouse, Lima One, 16 sets of arresting gear for the "wet runway recovery bill". High energy "precautionary approaches" in A-7s, after bounce de-briefs at the Rocket 17 (or at one of the local strip joints).. water skiing on Doctors Lake or bellying up at the Hooters (back when it was a REAL Hooters) on Mandarin Blvd. The politicians in Virginia steamrolled the poor Florida delegation at the BRAC hearings and we lost a great base as the Wing was sentenced to Oceana. Sad.

But as for the airplane noise. To this day, P-3's, S-3's, F-18's, A-6's etc; still practice there, fly low around the area, just as always.

FYI, all the A-6s have been put to bed; pretty sure the S-3s are just about all tucked away in the desert as well.
Cheers,

FYI, all the A-6s have been put to bed; pretty sure the S-3s are just about all tucked away in the desert as well.
Cheers,

I refering to the EA-6's, for ease of conversation....., guess I should have noted that.

I was told theres a few S-3's left, still hear them over the house.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back