Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL350

WAR EAGLE!!!!
Does anyone out there with C-650 experience know anything about the reliability of the hydraulic system in the airplane. We have had terrible luck with ours in the recent past. Is this a function of bad luck or bad design? Any insight would be appreciated.

FL350

What specifically is frustrating ?

I flew a 650 some years ago, but it wasn't all that long ago.

Did you ever wonder why this Citation is so complicated when compared with any of the other series, save the CE-750 ?

My school house instructor told me the airplane had a great deal of 'Boeing' input during its design. Rumor has it, if you were comfortable in a B-727 / B-737, then you already knew something before the first day of GS for CE-650.

I liked the airplane, but I took away a few experiences from the airplane : 1) The front seats are cramped for someone like me 6'2" / 230 lbs. At least the seat would pitch up. 2) The nosewheel steering is marginal at best. 3) The 650, even with the C suffixed engines is a weak climber above 29K. It takes forever to accelerate to .82 to .83 at FL390. Thank goodness the Citation 7 got a little more punch. 4) The 3 needed an external servicing honey pot. 5) The BFLs above 85 degrees or above 4900 MSL are way too long for most fields to take any meaningful amounts of Jet-A to go anywhere.

Specifically we have had a great deal of trouble with the Hydraulic cooling fan. I know Cessna knows it is a problem becasue 1) after unit 104 they changed the system and got rid of the fan. 2) because every time we have had to call up there to get the part, which costs $17k, they always have plenty in stock. 3)We have had 2 go out while still under warranty. The fan only runs when you are on the ground to keep the pacs cool. So it isn't really a threat to the safety of flight. I suspect if the fan did run in flight that Cessna would have taken care of the problem a long time ago. In addition to the fan we have had numerous leaks in the system. Some have required major work including replacing and reswedging lines, some required just the normal tweaking and tightening. In any case, in the couple years I have been flying the plane, I have come to the conclusion that if it's a problem, its the hydraulic system. Any insight or personal experiences would be helpful.

we just had our cooling fan go out yesterday. Major pain when its 105 outside. This is really the only big problem we have had with the hydraulics so far though.

I flew serial number 191 so we didn't have the fans you mentioned.

As for any recurring hydraulic issues on the ship I flew there were none; sorry I could not be of more help.

I had a left main gear tire (inboard) blow out at V1 + a knot or two and before VR; a really fun experience. I had an elevator trim jam in the up position after a go-around at low altitude. That was fun, too !

I'll ask around if anyone else has had similar experiences with the 650 hydraulic system.

Last edited:
Our new fan lasted a total of two legs. Getting another one put in now. We just bought sn 105 with the electric fan, so hopefully we wont have to worry about this problem anymore.

get used to it

We just put a new one in ours and ever since, we have seen a huge drop in hydr. pressure and occasionally get a low pressure light whenever we stowe our TR's . Cessna says it is because they have a new vendor producing these fans and the new ones draw more pressure. It only happens when we are stowing both TR's at the same time. When you get yours back, let me know if you see the same thing. I am not sure Cessna wasn't BSing us. In any case ours is working...for now. Having a III built after number 104 is a real advantage. These fans are a pain!

Latest resources

Back