• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CE-500 Type Rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I understand correctly, the SP rating allows you to fly a Citation V (560) or Citation 550 (II or Bravo) single pilot. Back a bit though, Cessna made some modified 500's and 550's that were themselves designed (really a paperwork thing, more than design) to be operated by one pilot as they are. Those were designated 501 and 551.

Again, I could be wrong, but that is what I have been told. Anyway, gotta get started on a 7 day trip....(with an FO, thank God)....

Later

Just to clarify here's the different Citation type ratings and what you can fly with them:

TYPE RATING: CE500
C500: Citation 500, Citation I
C501: Citation ISP
C550: Citation II, Bravo
C551: Citation IISP
C560: Citation V, Ultra, Encore

TYPE RATING: C525 (S)
C525: CitationJet, CJ1
C526: CJ2

TYPE RATING: C56XL
C56X: Citation Excel

TYPE RATING: C650
C650 Citation III, VI, VII

TYPE RATING: C750
C750 Citation X

Additionally, if you have a CE500 type rating you are allowed to fly a C501, C551 or a C500 with Shannon or Sierra mods, SINGLE PILOT. These AIRPLANES are certified for single pilot operations.

You can also fly a C500, C550 or C560 Single Pilot if the Pilot gets a SINGLE PILOT WAIVER (actually goes on your license). This waiver is good for 1 year and is very hard to get. FS usually charge an extra $10,000 to get this waiver on top of the usual $12,000 recurrent.

Or you can buy a $100,000 Service Bulletin (SB11-4) that will turn any model C500 or C550 into a C501 or C551, allowing it to be flown SP with a CE500 Type. There is also a SB that turns a C501 or C551 back into a 2 pilot airplane C500 or C550.

With the Citation Jet Series (C525's) there are actually two differnent Type Ratings. There is a C525 type and a C525S type. The C525S lets you fly the CJ Single Pilot.

There is also an examiner in San Diego that gives Citation types for $4000. When you get a type from him your license reads C501 SECOND-IN-COMMAND REQUIRED. I'm not sure how he is able to give this type rating (or remove the SIC required, if need be), but this type rating certainly makes sense and OKC is accepting it.

Yes, insurance can get expensive for single pilot operators. However, an airplane flown professionally shouldn't be that expensive (personally- $16,000 for $1.6M hull, $40M liablity).

Flying a Citation SP is very easy, but you have to look at your own operations to see if it is a good idea. We don't have a full-time SIC primarily because the flying we do is too easy (same destination, almost always VMC) and sometimes we need to put a passenger in that seat. I usually have an SIC ride along (if there's room), and the boss would be happy to hire a fulltime SIC, if I asked to hire one on.

Now the SIC question is something for another thread, i.e. logging time, SIC checkouts, PIC requirements. Here's an intreresting thought, since a C501 is certfied under Part 23 the PIC only needs a biannual (FAR 61.57) to legally fly it SP. However if the PIC is flying with an SIC he is required to have an annual (FAR 61.58) checkride. In essence making it harder to fly with an SIC than SP.

Why the 526 designation for the CJ2? I thought it was a 525A...but I'm new to the game so please explain.

Thanks!

English,

Good point about the CJ2. Its data plate and registration shows that it is a C525A. The C526 is what you plug in as A/C type when you file the flight plan.

All the aircraft types that I put in are for Flight Plan identfiers, though there is a difference in Registration sometimes. For instance (I believe, since I haven't flown either) the Bravo is a C552 and an Ultra is a C560U.

Thanks...I'm still learning!

Latest resources

Back