• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JediNein

No One Special at all
Howdy!

I had an interesting conversation with a local corporate charter outfit's chief pilot Friday. I asked after earning the MEL/MEI if I should pursue MEL time or a CE-500 type rating. He recommended the type rating after asking a few specific questions about my experience and where I was currently working. (under 1000 ttl).

In further conversation he stated whatever company I hired on would provide the training. He explained the in-house training was no longer recognized by many insurance companies even though a type rating is a type rating and suggested only FlightSafety or Simcom/Simuflite. Their outfit used to offer the rating until early last year.

:confused: Now, is this saying a type rating would be PFT? Or that a type is better than playing surrogate MEI (safety pilot) in a Seminole?

There is no job at the end of this training, and I'm not 'taking a seat from a qualified pilot.' The MEL/MEI course is not a quickie either.

The next question, for all of the bizjet folks out there: FlightSafety (LGB), Simcom, or Simuflite for the type rating? Anyone out there about to do the same thing (~4 months) and want to team up (much better price I'm finding)?

Thanks in advance to all that answer.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

If you are currently under a grand total time, I would recommend going after the MEI and continuing instruction, logging multi time.

Not making hay of your qualifications but not many jet operators will hire you with less than 1,000, type or no type.
I would continue to head for the 1,500 mark, the ATP and then think type, besides most operators are going to type you anyway when you meet their qualifications for PIC.

Your average entry level jet operator or small time corporate op will not type you right way anyhow, you’ll sign a training contract for your SIC course then when the time comes you’ll sign another for your PIC course.

At least that’s how it went with me.

TMMT

I agree with TMMT....

I think paying for a type at your current experience level is a waste of money....

Remember a Type Rating doesn't mean squat with some "Time in Type" experience to support it...

Go get your MEI, and teach in a twin, that is excellent experience!

Get to 1500 hours and get your ATP... That is much more important than a Type Rating at this stage of your game....

I haven't paid a dime for any of my own training since getting my MEI when I had 280 hours... everything else has been paid by my employers....

I hope this helps!

Agreed, go get your MEI. While a type rating is nice to have on your license it is absolutly useless unless you have signifigant time in type or comparble jet airplanes. At least with the MEI you can get paid.

I may be wrong, but I think that if you get the type before your ATP, you will only have commercial privelages in a Citation, even after getting the ATP (unless of course you take the ATP ride in a C500). This would seriously limit the opportunities available to you down the road.
If you really want to get the type rating on your own, then perhaps a better tactic would be to get the 1,500TT, then get your ATP and Type in the same checkride.

Get the multi time. Most Citation operators fly them single-pilot. You are not insurabale these days with less than 3500 total. Build your time up to 1500, then if you still want to, go get the type rating/ATP

Howdy all!

Thanks for the information!

At my current rate of hour building it will be another 4 years before seeing 1500 hours total time.

IOW, it's time to do something different.

How much multi time is the barrier of entry in the corporate/charter world? I know it takes about 40 hours of training time to get the MEL and MEI where I'm working. Does that leave 60 to get a hundred? Or forget the lows and just work on 300 hours total?

Or, does one get the MEL, and have a friend walk a resume in to the chief pilot just as another friend gives his 2 weeks notice?

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

IN DA BUSH?

Miss Nein,
May I call you that? I would suggest getting your MEL and MEI and then FLYFLYFLYFLYFLYFLY...you get the point. With the current status of the industry, "most" companies are not hiring and the ones that are, are looking for more experience than you currently have. Remember your past, think about your future, but focus on today. Gotta learn to walk before you can run.

Your other option is to buy a warm jacket and move to Alaska if your not already there. Nothing against AK, I'm thinking of heading there myself.

Fly!
Driver

JediNein said:
IOW, it's time to do something different.

Puuu-Leeeeeeze!

It's time to do something different? Hmmm, how about getting off your A** and start working! Get all of the students you can and fly anytime they want to fly....And I don't want to hear any crying either! If you had 300 hours and all your ratings you could have 1500 hours in 1.5 years, maybe less.

JetPilot500

JediNein said:
How much multi time is the barrier of entry in the corporate/charter world? I know it takes about 40 hours of training time to get the MEL and MEI where I'm working. Does that leave 60 to get a hundred? Or forget the lows and just work on 300 hours total?

I agree totally with JetPilot500.... Just having your multi-rating and a few hours of twin time doesn't mean squat!

TYPICALLY Charter operators will want to see 300-500 hours of MULTI-Time associated with 1,500+ of total time... Corporate Operators will be higher than that...

Just to give you a little glimpse into reality, my company (Fortune 100 Corporate) has the following MINIMUM requirements:

Total Time: 5,000
Multi-Time: 2,500
Turbine-Time: 1,500
Turbo-Jet: 1,000

Grant it, these are high, but even cut those mins in half and you still have what most smaller corporate operators will want to see (2,500 TT, 1,250 Multi, 750 Turbine, 500 Jet)

Oh yeah, and no crying either! I Flight Instructed (Single & Multi) until I had nearly 2,500 TT and 850 Multi.... I have no sympathy for those whom are "burned out" after a couple hundred hours of Dual-Given....

Suck it up and act like a Professional Pilot! Earn your spot and pay your dues!

Fly Safe!

Latest resources

Back