Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WileE

CCAir getting shut down?
Can anyone confirm/deny the rumors that have been floating around that CCAir is getting the ax?

I've heard rumors that the pilots tried to ratify a contract to keep flying and get rid of ALPA but the union management pulled some kind of legal stunt to get the contract the pilots voted in nullified. I heard that this was the last straw for Ornstein and he is pulling the plug on CCAir.

Anyone have the inside scoops on this one? I got the impression that the majority of CCAir pilots are pretty pissed with ALPA since they would rather keep their jobs than fall on their swords for some vague union goals.

(I clicked on the wrong "General" header for where I wanted to post this one so there is a duplicate post over in the Interview section. Maybe a mod could delete that one?)

WileE,
where did you hear this? It is my understanding that CCair President Carter Leake is to meet with D. Woerth today or tomorrow to try and iron out the "Problems" with our ratified contract that he won't sign. -Bean

WileE, I asked JO if he was going to shut down CCair this week and this was his answer:
--------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:31 pm
Subject: RE: [freemesaairlinesforum] Re: The end of CCair?

No.

----------------------------------------------------------------
-Beantown

Like I said

As I said, this was a rumor I heard someone talking about. I had no way of judging his "reliability" as a source so I thought I'd open this to the group.

What's happening and what has happened at CCAir is this. Basically, management is holding the furloughed pilots hostage until Duane Woerth signs the new contract.

The pilots heard all of managements rhetoric and whining until it got to the point where the company gave us an ultimatum, either sign or it gets shut down. Reluctantly, the pilots agreed to it by a 70% -30% margin. The 30% by the way have been dubbed "The Dirty Thirty" of which I am a member of the club. We saw a rag and said no. Also, in no way was it a majority of the pilots that wanted ALPA decertified as our union. It was a small renegade bunch that thought they had all the answers and they didn't have squat.

Anyway, a couple more deadlines came and went without ALPA signing off on it. Because of this another 47 were to be furloughed this past Fri., but another letter went out to the pilots from management stating that this furloughed would be delayed one day pending the signing of the T/A by end ofbusiness Friday. Anyway, still no signing. As far as I know, Woerth is having a problem with a couple of issues that need clarification.

You may ask, does this surprise you? No Way!! We've only heard
at the minimum, five closing dates in the last year and a half.

We shall see.

Beantown:

You should have rephrased the question. You asked him "this week" that doesnt preclude any plans in the future. So his "no" answer only guarantees something for this week.

I am praying for you folks, we don't need any more pilots on the street.

Take care,
Humble

My guess is that he has no plans to shut us down. Why would he do that when the Mesa pilots are in the midst of contract negotiations right now.

On a somewhat different note: I believe that sometime this week we will go into a "custodianship" form of local ALPA governance. If anyone out there can explain this more in depth I would appreciate it. Our acting MEC chairman is now furloughed so all the work that he was trying to do is down the crapper. Our fate as a company seems to rest in the hands of Capt. Woerth and whomever is appointed to steer the remaining 39 pilots. It's sad that I started here just over a year and a half ago and we had 140 pilots and were hiring. Now our seniority starts at about 14 years for the most junior pilot. I for one can only hope that ALPA and management can quit the name calling and the stupid chess game and get us all back flying soon.

Basically what happens in a custodianship is that ALPA will assign an interim MEC until the company works out the problem areas. Right now the CCAir senority list is so tenuous, especially with 14 year Captains going back as FO's, it makes it difficult to actually assign someone that might not be furloughed. According to some management figures they may reduce CCAir down to one Dash 8, so, what does that leave?? 8-10 possibly, 12 pilots. One last thing to think about, our chief pilot is also furloughed from his flying duties. So, if he flies a trip it opens up the grievances to be filed for everyone senior to him that is furloughed.

Good Luck, Furlough is now on day 42 and it still sux!!!

Beantown,

It was interesting how you asked the question of J.O. regarding the possible shut down of CCAir. If I can pass on some advice, never ever leave him an out on your questions. Ask him the tough questions and then watch him dance around the issue. I've asked him point blank questions before and he failed to answer me, instead he sounded more like a politician.

Vrefus wrote " It was interesting how you asked the question of J.O. regarding the possible shut down of CCAir. If I can pass on some advice, never ever leave him an out on your questions. Ask him the tough questions and then watch him dance around the issue. I've asked him point blank questions before and he failed to answer me, instead he sounded more like a politician."
------------------------------------------------

Vrefus, I wrote the question that way for two reasons, one is I was trying to answer the question that started this thread (Was CCair shut down). Being furloughed (like almost everyone) we could have been shut down at that point and I would have not known it. The second reason is because at this point I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen more then a week in advance. Not J.O, Not ALPA and certainly not the pilots. There are to many variables all of which are in a constant flux. Therefore I am not going to ask a question that I don't think he can answer.
With that said, I have seen him dance around many a question, but I give him credit for making himself available. When he does answer a question he is putting himself on the line and leaving a paper trail. Most CEO's would never do that!
Hope to see ya on the ramp soon, - Bean

Latest resources

Back