• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Caution Wake Turbulence"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was rocked by an Air France 747 passing over me in cruise at FL360, opposite directions, 1000 ft sep. and very little wind aloft. I was in a E 170

What about doing good steep turns in a 172 or 150 and hitting your own wake at then end?

I got rocked by a Saab 340 one day in a Mooney.

If it creates lift, then there is a wake. The greater the lift and the heavier the airplane then the greater the wake. End of discussion.

Mike Oxlong said:
What about doing good steep turns in a 172 or 150 and hitting your own wake at then end?

I remember the first time that happened to me as a student doing steep turns. It sure startled me.

Rattler71 said:
IF the "RJ" was taking off, and you were landing, it was not wake turbulence, it was "jet blast"

Rattler71

Unless the Cessna has to go around for a water buffalo on the runway... THEN he has a wake turbulence problem. Thats why they issue the warning.

The B757 is by far the worst wake there is... for some reason the design and weight combine for deadly turbulence. Keep it a dot high on the GS behind them!!!

I doubt it's worse than 777 or 747.

Got rocked within the last year on a calm day over TEB while turining onto final into Newark (in an ERJ). Plane shook they rolled 30 degrees knocking the Autopilot off, (control imputs did nothing). Recovered, then it happened again...In the confusion ATC gives us a vector through final because we're following a heavy 76-400. Pax getting off were very shook up (as were we).

Latest resources

Back