Cathay Pacific Folks....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

boxjockey

Just a quick question. If someone was to start at Cathay as a Second Officer, and then upgrade to junior FO in four or five years, would that person be senior to someone who came as an FO from the freighter side but was hired after the SO? What I'm trying to ask is, is it benificial to get in as soon as you can, or wait until you can apply to the freighter operation as an FO? Thanks for the answers.

box

So getting hired at Cathay...if you don't have the ICAO ATPL, will they even look at your stuff? How do you get the ATPL? Thanks.

IMBB

bandit317 said:
Go to their website, http://www.cathaypacific.com/intl/careers/paths/0,,86808,00.html.

Tells you the entire training process. Basically, you will have to retake all your FAA writtens for the license conversion.
No, this is incorrect. Cathay is not a US registered airline. You will not take any FAA exams. We operate under the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department, which has its own certificates and such. If you are offered a position, you will take at an absolute minimum, several exams, probably more. (Air Law and such) These are far different from the FAA knowledge examination(s).

"No, this is incorrect. Cathay is not a US registered airline. You will not take any FAA exams."

Well, if you want to nitpick, you are correct. The fact is, there are many tests involved in the hiring process and license conversion.

Faa Atp = Icoa Atpl

IMBB said:
So getting hired at Cathay...if you don't have the ICAO ATPL, will they even look at your stuff? How do you get the ATPL? Thanks.

IMBB
The US is a member of ICAO, so an ATP issued by the FAA is an ICAO ATPL. I figured that out after wasting a lot of time looking through the ICAO standards and saw that they just provide a benchmark for what is required for an ICAO recognized ATP. The FAA certificate meets those standards. That's good enough to get interviewed, but then, as pointed out elsewhere, you have to get licensed by Hong Kong if CX hires you. I sent a resume with my FAA ATP and received the application package, but the wife ixne'd the idea of moving to Hong Kong, Chicargo, New Yawk, or any other foreign land. She likes it deep in the heart of Texas. Good luck - I think Cathay would be a great place to work.

How many written exams and flight tests are involved in converting an FAA licence to HK?

I would also suspect on the 'difficulty' factor - HK written exams would be considerably harder than FAA written exams, but not quite at the European JAA level, which are quite extensive. I seem to recall somebody posting on a past CX thread they had 4 writtens to take during the month in Australia. Anybody with any experience in the process care to chime in (center, Cpt. Underpants).

Insights appreciated. Thanks - jtrain

Latest resources

Back