Cathay Pacific Airways Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank, thanks for the back-up.

This is the problem with anonymous internet posting. Lear, you are making an assumption as to the tone of my post :confused: . In no way do I think U.S. pilots are inferior to other pilot groups. U.S. pilots bring a lot to the table and I completely agree that hand flying skills is one area they do tend to be a little better at. I was merely trying to point out that, in my experience, I've found a little lower depth of academic knowledge in regards to certain areas ( I even include myself in this statement ). This is important to the question asked in this thread as the Cathay interview is VERY TECHNICAL.

Typhoonpilot

I agree with Typhoon. I felt like an IDIOT in the interview and I have a degree in aeronautics! Is it too tough? maybe, but if they are looking at how you handle stress or if you'll try to cover up your ignorence, maybe not. I told them flat out I didn't know Schooler's loop or the INS drift equation, but I still got the job.
As I have taken the exams to get my Hong Kong ATPL I can tell you it takes more gouge then I had when I got my degree, in the military, or my 737 type.
Is it overkill? again, maybe, but if Chinese guys with little hours, right out of College can pass them and US airline guys have to study their arses off, what does that tell you? Would I rather have a US guy as my F/O on a stormy night with multiple failures, maybe, but if can't figure out our landing distance with anti-skid inop, 27 Tons of fuel on board, on a wet runway with an engine out, then maybe not.

How is the atmosphere over there now? I was gonna apply about 4 years ago and a guy I knew told me not to b/c of the union busting. Then ALPA black flagged them so I stayed away. Now I could just KICK myself. My wife was born in Hong Kong and still has residency rights and we still have family over there but don't want to move from the states now. Hopefully can get an interview soon.

This a good point. Weather your FO/SO will be usefull in a pinch has nothing to do with weather he/she is an American or not. If he/she is properly trained and remains current in there studies. they will be able to come up with numbers very quickly. The runway anaylisis numbers are right next to my right leg and they are so easy to use even my 3 year old could figure it out. I'll take the guy with good hands, great situational awearness, and common sence anyday! Amereicans are treated very poorly by many of the brit's and aussies at Cathy. So I have been told. Maybe it's because some of us (me) can't spell or don't speak the Kings english. Or maybe they watch to much Jerry Springer. I don't know? Hong Kong is fun though I love the layovers there.

See you at the square!
Bjammin said:
I agree with Typhoon. I felt like an IDIOT in the interview and I have a degree in aeronautics! Is it too tough? maybe, but if they are looking at how you handle stress or if you'll try to cover up your ignorence, maybe not. I told them flat out I didn't know Schooler's loop or the INS drift equation, but I still got the job.
As I have taken the exams to get my Hong Kong ATPL I can tell you it takes more gouge then I had when I got my degree, in the military, or my 737 type.
Is it overkill? again, maybe, but if Chinese guys with little hours, right out of College can pass them and US airline guys have to study their arses off, what does that tell you? Would I rather have a US guy as my F/O on a stormy night with multiple failures, maybe, but if can't figure out our landing distance with anti-skid inop, 27 Tons of fuel on board, on a wet runway with an engine out, then maybe not.

Last edited:
leardrivr said:
Amereicans are treated very poorly by many of the brit's and aussies at Cathy.
No, we are not, but I will say that the few sour puffs we have around here, doesn't care what type of passport you hold...

I'll take a yank over a european ab-intio student anytime. Sure, getting your FAA ATP is one big joke. But atleast most of you guys know how to fly a airplane by the time you get a 737/747 job.

FD

(FAA CPL, JAA ATPL)

I only been here a short while, but the atmospere seems great. About 4 years ago I imagine it was quite different. Pilots are not the type of people to sit around and take it when an airline "gets rid of" a few of their own. Even in the interview they talked about how management and flight crew were very much at odds at one time, but how much better it has become. The 49's were, and still are, a big issue, but I think the airline realizes it was a HUGE black eye and truly wants to move on and so does the union. It cost Cathay millions in legal fees, maybe even lost revenue, and definately a huge pilot resource in North America for some time steming from a backlash from unions in the states. I think alot of older North American pilots still see Cathay as an evil network, and have trouble excepting the airline as a respectable foreign carrier, that's understandable. I think in time that attitude will change, especially as some US carriers have made some very questionable decisions of their own.
I am not an expert on much of anything by any means, but I see this as a great place to be right now. The airline is recruiting like mad, taking atvantage of the booming Asian economy, and is really trying hard to create a possitive atmoshere for all it's employies. There are people out there that would bitch if you GAVE them a million dollars, but I for one am very glad to be here and have not noticed anyone treating me, a US homebread soldier boy, different from anyone else.
As far as training, your right, it doesn't matter which country you come from IF you have the propper attitude, but getting your licence in the states seems to be much easier then most countries and this Pay For Training thing is truly dumbing down the pilot base, in my humble opinion. The North Americans that Cathay seems to be recruiting are, for the most part, very professional seasoned avaitors. Either guys with 1000's of hours flying for 135 or 121's or military trained guys. Both groups bring lots to the table especially in "flying sence", but I see that we also lack the book knowlege of our counterparts. However, because these guys are professionals they study very hard and get 90+ on these Hong Kong ATPL exams. I commend all thse guys that come over here and put in the effort. It's great to be in their company.

Last edited:
Flyingdutchman said:
Sure, getting your FAA ATP is one big joke. But atleast most of you guys know how to fly a airplane by the time you get a 737/747 job.

FD

(FAA CPL, JAA ATPL)

and you are soooo much better at getting people from point a to point b. big deal :)

Last edited:
Dude, read between the lines.. I'm saying that id rather fly wit a FAA pilot instead of a JAA (low hour) pilot.

FD

Latest resources

Back