Cathay Cargo Questions - Atlanta Base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Johnsonrod,
the 744 Is only big when you are doing the walk around / external inspection. something a relief FO does a lot of! Ohh yeah a relief FO or SO does not taxi either so I couldn't tell you what that is like either. the 15 times a year I do taxi I seem to forget what it is like as I am too tired to remember.
as for flying it, just hang out with 4 guys in a small dark room for 15 hours looking at a poster of a 747 flightdeck and you will know what it is like. We fly the 744 for the money and the lifestyle. you fly all the other stuff for the flying!

As a relief FO I get about 3 to 4 sectors a month. I enjoy the flying very much and the airplane is a challenge to fly well when heavy during an approach to an airport with bad weather. Being high during the taxi gives you a good view of the tarmac, but you don't feel like your in a big airplane. The landing is very mechanical. The skill comes in saving a bad flare. Cathay is good in the respect that when it's your sector it truly is yours. The only thing the captain does that your can't is add the thrust for takeoff, he will do the preflight and you taxi when it's your sector. I enjoy flying this airplane as much as flying a fighter. It's different, but still flying.

After 3 years of being here I have learned to manage my rest and am only very tired on occasion. I tend to let guys sleep past their allowed rest if i'm alert, no problem, and it seems appriciated.

I truly enjoy the guys I fly with as well. Being in a cockpit for 15 hours with a good crew can be very enjoyable, and remember your only in the seat for at most 8 hours. It was great weather on my last sector and I got to see the coast of Russia, North and South Korea, Japan and Taiwan. I saw an erupting volcano the last trip and watch the northing lights during the winter. I've seen Japan testing missiles and the huge fishing fleets of Vietnam. Flying around the mountains into ANC is awesome when the WX is good.

The airplane is comfortable and the food pretty good. It makes the long sectors very barrable.

Last edited:
Bjammin, I've always found your posts to be informative and objective. Thanks for all your good info. I've been sucessful in my second interview in HK and am patiently awaiting a class date.
Beefy

Bjammin'

I think you only have been here for 2.5 years...

Also, didn't you turn down an offer from Fedex?

Been here more then 2.5, and never interviewed with FedEx, maybe your thinking of someone else. I don't know you, I don't think.

All I can say is that we have crossed paths a few times. You are a great guy, just a little bit naive when it comes to what's goin on at CX.

Maybe so, but I do know what's going on in MY life and those of my compadre's and I have the much better deal.

I can't get all rapped up in stuff we obviously have zero say so in. The union never got a vote! All I can do is compare life now to what it was in the military and what it will be in future with this company, it's just that basic.

The company is making money, the pilots are getting paid and not laid off, and I truly don't think there is a conspirency against us from the higher ups. They want to the company to do well and that will always be in our best interest.

Those who don't like it here should move on. That is the biggest FU you can do.

Cheers

As a relief FO I get about 3 to 4 sectors a month. I enjoy the flying very much and the airplane is a challenge to fly well when heavy during an approach to an airport with bad weather. Being high during the taxi gives you a good view of the tarmac, but you don't feel like your in a big airplane. The landing is very mechanical. The skill comes in saving a bad flare. Cathay is good in the respect that when it's your sector it truly is yours. The only thing the captain does that your can't is add the thrust for takeoff, he will do the preflight and you taxi when it's your sector. I enjoy flying this airplane as much as flying a fighter. It's different, but still flying.

After 3 years of being here I have learned to manage my rest and am only very tired on occasion. I tend to let guys sleep past their allowed rest if i'm alert, no problem, and it seems appriciated.

I truly enjoy the guys I fly with as well. Being in a cockpit for 15 hours with a good crew can be very enjoyable, and remember your only in the seat for at most 8 hours. It was great weather on my last sector and I got to see the coast of Russia, North and South Korea, Japan and Taiwan. I saw an erupting volcano the last trip and watch the northing lights during the winter. I've seen Japan testing missiles and the huge fishing fleets of Vietnam. Flying around the mountains into ANC is awesome when the WX is good.

The airplane is comfortable and the food pretty good. It makes the long sectors very barrable.

Your spelling really sucks dude.

Your spelling really sucks dude.

Ahem! That would be; "Your spelling really sucks, dude." Or. "Dude, your spelling really sucks."

Get familiar with the comma before you start correcting people, dude! :D

Unless you meant.....nah! You couldn't have meant that anyone was sucking dudes!:laugh:

Ahem! That would be; "Your spelling really sucks, dude." Or. "Dude, your spelling really sucks."

Get familiar with the comma before you start correcting people, dude! :D

Unless you meant.....nah! You couldn't have meant that anyone was sucking dudes!:laugh:

Now that is funny!

Latest resources

Back