Catching a break in the Corporate world

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Meiguy

My question goes out to all those already flying in the corporate world. I'm a low time pilot looking to build up quality time, any time. Ive been out of work for over 6 months looking everyday for instructor slots and anything else I'm qualified for. Nothing. I do a little corporate flying in the right seat of B200 with a contact I know under Part 91. Can't complain about that and I'm loving the experience since he lets me fly the majority of the legs. However, trips are few and far between and I'm still left on the ground most days of the week. I know the corporate world is backed by a lot of who you know. I'm trying to think of a way to get more involved in Part 91 Corporate scene. I know I'm a long way from PIC but I still love learning and experiencing bigger and better aircraft. I guess my questions are: What kind of businesses would fly single-pilot Part 91 corporate stuff, where I could maybe ask and see if they would consider have second pilot. I'm not asking for compenstation, just experience. I know it wouldn't work for planes already requiring 2 pilots because my hours wouldn't qualify me as SIC for most insurances. I know some smaller Real Estate Firms and Insurance Companies would probably qualify, but thats about all I can think of right now. Any ideas on meeting more of these types of people? Can you think of other businesses to expand the networking to. Any help would be appreciated.

I posted a job on the general board of the message board for a co-pilot in a Bravo. It's on www.avcrew.com also. The min's were 1000 hours and the job was in Washington some where. Hope this helps and good luck. Hang in there things will turn around hopefully. In the mean time get as much time in the 200 as you can. I love flying it myself. Fly Safe.

keep building hours
maybe get into some charter work (135)
Get some PIC time in the King Air or small jet
Keep building the resume
and most important.....
keep building contacts and be known as a hard working, nice guy/gal!!
sounds corny, but corporate departmants are stocked from friends of friends who know you would fit in on a long trip!

You need some core amount of hours (maybe 2500 or so) but after that the hours and the ratings have very little to do with it.

This is a tough business

Meiguy,

You sound like a humble and honest pilot... that's good. I just hope you know that this is a tough business to get into, especially now.

It was tough to get into before 911, believe me... I've been doing this for a long time now and it has never been easy. Now that there are literally thousands of additional experienced pilots from the airlines on the street looking for jobs on this end of aviation, the competition is even more intense. Many of them are willing to resign their seniority numbers and finish their careers in corporate.

Your plan to build "quality time," is sound though. In addition to building quality time, consider also building your credentials, and experience. Learn what it takes to be a good captain and leader. Learn good CRM skills and be a good communicator. Educate yourself about the corporate flying world and network with everyone you meet. When things turn around, you will be ready.

Accept the fact that you are still in the early stages of your career and make a 5 - 10 year plan to attain your goals. That is literally how long it will take you to build the credentials you need to qualify for the stellar jobs in this market.

For now, the best information I can give you is... you are on the right track, keep doing what you're doing and be persistent.

Good luck,

I was VERY lucky when the Co. I now work for moved their 65 Sabre into the hanger I was CFI'ing out of. As soon as they moved in, I began to get to know all of the people in the dept and made it known that i REALLY wanted to work for them. I was first hired as a part-timer and finally moved into full-time about 2 1/2 yrs ago. My times were low, 1700tt 100multi. I guess my point is, Corporate takes alot of getting to know someone. Most Corp depts really want to see that you are a good guy/gal and someone who gets along well with the people they work with. Good luck, it is a tough egg to crack, and well worth it.

Latest resources

Back