• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dgs

Base airport
JFK
Ratings
A320, B-707, B-737
Now that "Catch Me If You Can" is out on DVD, any comments?

Anybody concerned that somebody else might try to fake their way onto a jumpseat? (Realizing that would only mean a free seat in the back, not the cockpit.)

I read the book when it first came out. (I was in Saudi for Desert Storm at the time.) I found the book pretty entertaining. The movie is somewhat different from the book. The real guy was 6 ft, 170 lbs, and looked much older than DiCaprio. He was one of 4 kids and went to live with his dad after the divorce. After he ran away he never saw his father again. It's really too bad they didn't cover more of his trip to Europe with fake FAs from Univ of Arizona. It sounds like he lived a pretty high life, but then, he is a consumate BS artist, so you don't have any idea what REALLY happened. Has anybody else read the book?

Anybody concerned that somebody else might try to fake their way onto a jumpseat? (Realizing that would only mean a free seat in the back, not the cockpit.)

I think anything is possible but this would be highly unlikely due to the precautions that most gate agents and pilots take before giving someone the J/S... fat chance

good movie though

3 5 0

I may be wrong, but I recently watched it on DVD and did anyone else catch what he said when he was on the plane with the FBI agent. He made a comment about La Guardia. He pointed out runway 44. Now what the hell is that? I also read the book and remember the comment being made, although I can't remember if he said that in the book too. I wish that when these people write scripts for movies, that they would do more research on the subjects. Aviation seems to get a lot of bad deals in movies. I guess it is because the general public doesn't know anything about runways, so of course us people involved in aviation will catch all of the mistakes. Same goes for movies involving doctors and whatever. I did like the movie too, and I agree that he never saw his father again after running away.

He pointed out runway 44. Now what the hell is that?

This guy was nothing more than an "imposter" - he was not a pilot. I am sure this was put into the script intentionally to even put more emphasis on the fact of "not" being a pilot.. This movie was well researched by the directors and entire crew involved.

3 5 0

dgs said:
Now that "Catch Me If You Can" is out on DVD, any comments?

I read the book when it first came out. (I was in Saudi for Desert Storm at the time.) I found the book pretty entertaining. The movie is somewhat different from the book. The real guy was 6 ft, 170 lbs, and looked much older than DiCaprio. He was one of 4 kids and went to live with his dad after the divorce. After he ran away he never saw his father again. It's really too bad they didn't cover more of his trip to Europe with fake FAs from Univ of Arizona. It sounds like he lived a pretty high life, but then, he is a consumate BS artist, so you don't have any idea what REALLY happened. Has anybody else read the book?

I also read the book. I thought it was good. I'm kind of gullable I thought that stuff could've happened especially 20+ years ago. I told my dad to read it, he's a doctor. He said the part where he faked being a doctor was total BS and would've never happened under any circumstances.

I still haven't seen the movie yet though.

Big deal about runway 44. He was not a pilot, and obviously at that moment was just bullsh*tting for time. The REAL pilots in the movie sounded fine (V1, V2, etc.).

Why couldn't he have faked being a doctor. Unless dateline is 100% fake, there are plenty of people out there who get arested every year for practicing medicine without a license.

I saw the movie with two of my cousins who are both lawyers. They both agreed that if your a decently smart person you could study for two weeks and pass the bar. They said that law school was optional WAY back in the day anyway, and there are some old dudes who legally practice law without ever attending law school.

Last edited:
It's not that hard for folks to fraudulently present themselves as doctors. It's getting harder, but...

A lot of the 9-11 hijackers used that pretext in order to be able to communicate with one another. They just had to know a little bit about it and be able to pretend to be a doctor for only a few minutes to accomplish what they needed.

Pretty scary really.

Dan

I was flying back to upgrade training from my home town and the gate agent asked if I had seen the movie. I said yes, and she said good since I was sitting next to him in First Class. After 15 minutes I finally introduced myself and we talked for most of the flight to ATL (got his business card and an offer for a autographed book).Fantastic story, really. All done between the ages of 16 and 21! He actually got his pilot certificate by sending information to a company that duplicates the info on to a plaque for one's office, etc. He took the engraving (remember his father had a print shop) and made a certificate. The FBI did not follow him to Europe. He was actually deported to the states but he did escape off the aircraft and run out onto the Van Wick! He noticed the FA'S disabiling the slides so he snuck out a door behind a curtain. His mother did not remarry and have a kid. He did pass himself off as a doctor but the girl in the movie was really a Flight Attendant that he was dating and he decided to confide in her and she turned him in to the police. He said that in those days passing a bad check was based 90%the person and 10% the check (he took the sheets from model boxes for the Pan Am logo- the movie showed model airplanes because they could not get the logo sheets for the movie). Now, due to his company and others it is now 90% the check and 10% the person! He still works for the FBI commuting from his home to talk to new recruits. He also has a security company that is responsible for most document security. He said that the Govt recovered most of the money and that his company paid additional penalties. All in all he said the movie was about 80% accurate.

Latest resources

Back