Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Foxcow

screwed
I've been thinking about this but I cannot think for the life of me when one would use calibrated airspeed.

Any answers?

Your CFI can provide a better answer...

...you know, I'm just some random person on a message board but, you can think of CAS as the "Perfect World" airspeed.

You get IAS after you factor in all the errors present in a particular system.

In other words, CAS is published in a book.

IAS is read on the gauge in real life.

You use CAS for planning but must adjust for IAS.

Old crooked airplanes with bad paint jobs and poor maintenance will never match the books number but CAS is a point of reference that the manufacturer has established.

I'm sure you'll get more information. Standby.

mar said:
...you know, I'm just some random person on a message board but, you can think of CAS as the "Perfect World" airspeed.

You get IAS after you factor in all the errors present in a particular system.

In other words, CAS is published in a book.

IAS is read on the gauge in real life.

You use CAS for planning but must adjust for IAS.

Old crooked airplanes with bad paint jobs and poor maintenance will never match the books number but CAS is a point of reference that the manufacturer has established.

I'm sure you'll get more information. Standby.

LOL amen

On the 737NG the speed that's indicated on the speed tape is the CAS. In other words the air data computer automatically corrects for any system errors to indicate CAS.

Calibrated airspeed is indicated airspeed corrected for sloppy engineering and the embracement thereof by the aviation community.

rumpletumbler said:
Calibrated airspeed is indicated airspeed corrected for sloppy engineering and the embracement thereof by the aviation community.
Hence the Bonanza, designed at the right hand of God, has a minimal difference between IAS and CAS. The chart is basically a joke.

Back to the OP, you can't accuratly calculate true airspeed using indicated. You must use calibrated or equivalent if applicable to determine your true airspeed. You can figure TAS on an E6B or a lot of GPS units have a CALC function.

I know what CAS is but I dont know what it would be used for. I can see how it would be useful to have on hand as a more accurate IAS but is there anything else that it might be needed for?

Latest resources

Back