• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

super88

Loud clutches save lives.
Hey folks,

So we operate a G150 under part 91. Our aircraft is configured for 6 pax plus one on the belted lav, in a pinch. For overwater ops we have to carry two rafts strapped to a passenger seat because the aircraft is certified for ditching (one to use, one to lose.) Normally we only carry the two owners, so no biggie.

In a couple of months we have a trip to St. Martin and the owners are wondering if there is any way to free up all 7 seats for some friends. 91.509 lays out pretty plainly what we need to carry offshore. My question is, if we file to remain within 100 miles of the nearest shore (or suitable airport, more practically) all the way down the chain, will we be in violation of anything I'm not thinking of if we 86 the rafts?

I appreciate any experienced advice.

As you said, EOW regs are clear. if you can fly were you need to go without getting into EOW ops, you're good to go as far as I can see in the regs. It is not an uncommon way to operate for some folks that can't carry a raft.

Ultra

Hey folks,

So we operate a G150 under part 91. Our aircraft is configured for 6 pax plus one on the belted lav, in a pinch. For overwater ops we have to carry two rafts strapped to a passenger seat because the aircraft is certified for ditching (one to use, one to lose.) Normally we only carry the two owners, so no biggie.

In a couple of months we have a trip to St. Martin and the owners are wondering if there is any way to free up all 7 seats for some friends. 91.509 lays out pretty plainly what we need to carry offshore. My question is, if we file to remain within 100 miles of the nearest shore (or suitable airport, more practically) all the way down the chain, will we be in violation of anything I'm not thinking of if we 86 the rafts?

I appreciate any experienced advice.

I've not heard of that one, but I must admit I have been retired for a few years. So is this something new?

Oh, and have a great time in St Maarten, my wife and I love that place. Make sure you go to the Sunset Beach Bar. :beer:

Part 25.1415 (b)1

Part 25 is certification. I've always wondered about being "certified for ditching." How exactly did they test that?

Here's my question: Your airplane is "certified for ditching" under 25.1415. Mine is not (placard clearly states "this aircraft is not certified for ditching"). It says this only because we chose not to buy life rafts from Bombardier when we spec'd out the airplane since we already had them and rarely operate over water. In all other regards, our aiplane is identical to the ones "certified for ditching" from Bombardier. So, my read is that if I put on board the equipment required by 91.509, I'm good to go over water. Since you are "certified" for ditching, you have to add an additional raft? That makes little to no sense...

I know it's not an answer to your question, but it came up once before so I thought I'd tap the flightinfo brain trust on the subject...

Yeah, I hear you. Nothing like taking two pax and having to carry rafts for up to 16 ppl.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. As it turns out, with every seat full we have to bump too much fuel to make it back to Chicago non-stop. So... they uninvited a few!

I can only imagine the conversation: "I like you enough to invite you to join me in my private jet, but not enough to deal with the hassle of clearing customs in Ft. Lauderdale. See you back in Chicago!"

Latest resources

Back