Cargo vs. PAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Goffer

I'm just getting my feet wet in the aviation industry, and looking for some information. I'd like to know some of the pros and cons of either ultimately leading my career towards cargo or PAX flying. Right now I'm working with a small 135 operation primarily flying tours and some flight instruction. I'd also like to know what type of path I should follow for either side.
I'll be here at my current job flying tours until I finish school (about 40 credits shy), and build some solid time. I'm wondering where I should go from here. :)

Done both cargo and pax ....and cargo is the shizit!!

One of the main differences, other than the obvious "Pax vs Boxes," is the side of the clock that you'll be flying on. For the most part, cargo guys are vampires that patrol the night, waiting to sink their teeth into either a cup of coffee, a Cup O'Noodles, or someone on the cargo ramp with an attitude. They typically don't see much of the sun...but there are companies w/routes during the day. In cargo ops, you will learn that, even though the field is IFR and well below minimums, if the cargo handler on the ground can see across the road, then you d*mn well better make it in! :rolleyes:

I haven't done a lot of Pax flying, at least not 121 so can't comment on airline life, but from the couple years of corporate and now with some charter and EMS stuff, I can tell you that flying Pax requires you to be much smoother at the controls. You'll learn to tailor the flight to the needs of the passengers, such as things they like to see onboard (snacks, drinks). With corporate or charter/fractionals, you'll get to know your passengers on a personal level and will probably fly with them very, very often.

The freight world is, for the most part, MUCH more scheduled, but with Pax ops their schedules change every time you fart. What was supposed to be 1 hour of ground time, may wind up as you sitting in the FBO for 8 hours.

I miss flying freight, but I also like EMS, and the bit of charter we're doing now too. If you go freight, you'll more than likely scare the crap outta yourself so many times that it's really going to make you a good pilot. They're all fun, so think about it and ask lots of questions. :)

Last edited:
Thanks CaravanMan, some information like you wrote is exactly what I'm looking for.

Honestly if you're asking this question then there is something in you that wants to fly cargo. Usually you know for sure whether or not you want to fly cargo. If you're not a people person per-se and enjoy the actual flying not necessarily the atmosphere then cargo is the way to go. Plus cargo, you usually make a little more than pax flying, hazard pay I guess.:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back